Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Number and Adjustments (D+82)

Went up to Chicago on Monday, and got some good numbers:

  • The genetic test looking for deletion-7 (which would indicate a trace of leukemia) came back negative. This doesn't mean there's nothing there, but it's as clean a bill of health as I can get.
  • My blood counts are still looking good, and are better than they were over the weekend (while the blood clot was keeping them down).
I also got a couple of adjustments to the plan settled on over the weekend:
  • Because I have a bone marrow biopsy coming up in mid-June, I should not currently be ramping up my Coumadin levels. You can't be on blood thinners during a bone marrow biopsy. The injectable blood thinner I am on clears the system within 12 hours, so I will stay on that alone until the biopsy and then make the transition to Coumadin, which build up in the system over time and stays in the system for a long time.
  • My local hospital is testing my blood for a genetic predisposition to clotting. Except, they aren't! When the test results come back, we will know whether Mara has such a predisposition but we won't know anything about me. The Chicago hospital will run the same test, using some genetic material they already have. If I have it, we'll want to check our sons.
(The fact that I bleed my sister's blood creates an interesting criminal scenario.)



Lying down seems to provoke the pulmonary embolism, so I have been sleeping the last couple of nights in a sitting position. It's better once I get up and start moving around.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Joe-

    One of your soccer mom fans here - glad the PTE isn't causing as much pain. Recently saw this website re: better pain scale (since I have had issues w/ them in the past); thought you might like it:
    http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/02/boyfriend-doesnt-have-ebola-probably.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that blog. I had not seen the pain scale, though, which makes me love it even more.

    ReplyDelete