Sunday, September 11, 2011

Stuck

When I was admitted a week ago with a neutropenic fever, the expectation was that my blood counts would recover over the course of the week and I would go home.

The most important number is the absolute neutrophil count (ANC). The low end of normal is 1600, 1000 is pretty good, and even 500 is often enough for doctors to release you to a safe environment. But below 500, you have to be in the hospital, because infections can get out of control very quickly. That's why I'm in a room with an airlock and positive air pressure (to keep airborne microbes out) and specially filtered water.

Here are my numbers:
9/3:   20   OK, this is what chemo does
9/4:     0   nowhere to go but up!
9/5:   20   here we go... once they start climbing, they usually climb exponentially
9/6:   10   um...
9/7:     0   huh...
9/8:   10   yeah, yeah... we'll see what happens tomorrow
9/9:   30   this looks promising
9/10: 20   oh, come on!
9/11: 10   good grief

According to the doctor making the rounds this weekend, about 20% of patients take longer than a week to start recovering. It looks like I'm one of those.

I seem to be creating new red blood cells, so my stem cells are doing something. They may be creating neutrophils, too, but something else might be destroying them.

I feel fine. My appetite and energy are normal. I'm just stuck here in the hospital until my neutrophils come back.

3 comments:

  1. Well, it IS 9/11, anniversary of "all things bad" I guess... next week will be MUCH better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come on Neutrophils -- I'm rooting for you. Climbing a hill is tough, just get your knees up, breathe deep, and push through. Go go go...up up up!! You can do it, Neutrophils!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe,
    Looking back at your blog it was nearly 9 days after transplant before your bones were ready to start making cells.They oten need more time to recuperate from the chemotherapy and the fever of last week. Any infection or high fever can shut down bone function temporarily even in a person without leukemia.Joe,you may be fast on your feet,but the bones do not always work as quickly. They will!!!
    Hugs,
    Ginger, Ralph,Ang, Alli

    ReplyDelete