Friday, March 23, 2012

I Have a Weight Problem

The last time I saw my doctor, the main task she assigned me was to gain weight. Don't worry about eating healthy foods, have as much ice cream and french fries as I can tolerate, and put on some pounds.

I have lost weight. I think I went into this second of treatment, back in October, weighing in the mid-180s on a 6-foot frame. It fluctuated a lot while I was in the hospital, with some extended periods during which I couldn't or didn't want to eat, and other periods when I was pumped full of IV fluids.

Since leaving the hospital, I have mostly weighed in the mid-170s (fully clothed, including shoes, wallet and cell phone) during my clinic visits. Recently, my clinic weigh-ins have been trending down to 170 and then below, which is what prompted my doctor's orders about 10 days ago.

Since then, I have been tracking my daily food intake using an online program. 2000 calories per day should maintain my weight, under normal circumstances. I have been eating 2500 to 3000 calories a day, which should add between 1 and 2 pounds a week.

At the clinic yesterday, I got on every scale I could find, and I weighed between 160 and 162, a loss of 5 to 7 pounds in 10 days. Our scale at home (naked weight 155, down from 161 a week before) yields a comparable weight loss. Maybe I am a little dehydrated, but it's clear I am not gaining the weight my caloric intake would predict, and clear I need to take in vastly more calories than I have been. Roughly 5000 calories per day should be enough to maintain my current weight!

My doctor has mentioned that GVHD can speed up the metabolism, but this seems extreme. Apparently,  any time I have left between napping and applying ointments will now be spent preparing and consuming food.

= = =

Update: To avoid large surprises at weekly weigh-ins, I now weigh myself daily.
Friday: 155
Saturday: 153.5
Sunday: 152

Not encouraging! Those numbers suggest it would take around 8000 calories per day just to hold steady. I need to set up a cot and sleeping bag at Denny's.

5 comments:

  1. If Dr. Godley's not limiting you to healthy foods, let us know if you have any requests for fattening unhealthy foods we could send your way! Or, may I suggest - lemon bars? cream cheese brownies? oatmeal cookies? jam bars? banana bread? triple ginger cookies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Joe, maybe milk shakes? My Mom had to go on a high calorie diet after having TB when she was in college, and drank milk shakes. Brownies sound good? Have you considered the "Sumo diet", which involves not only eating a ton, but sleeping right after eating? Some studies show that helps pack on the weight. Have the doctors considered something going on such that your body isn't really taking in all the calories effectively? Anyway, thanks for sharing the lastest wrinkle in your long saga.
    Best wishes,
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking about you today. We're eager to hear news from your appt., hopeful that your doctor has an effective and simple suggestion to correct the weight loss issue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I second the shake suggestion, Cold Stone Creamery has a "Very Vanilla" shake topping in over 1550 calories for their 24oz, and that's not the highest Calorie option either, I think they top out around 2000 for their PB&C option.

    Best wishes!
    Cory

    ReplyDelete
  5. A galloping metabolism. On paper, it sure sounds fabulous - that is, until it seems you can't keep up with it. Hope you can find an effective and tasty counter. Look forward to the update.

    ReplyDelete