Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Buying Green Bananas

I am three days into the five days of injections that begin the first 28-day cycle of the clinical trial. So far, so good.

The day before the trial started, I had an uplifting experience and a scare.

The uplifting experience was a Meeting for Worship with a concern for Healing held by the local Quakers (my religious community). Since I am in isolation, my family participated via Skype. We had some technical difficulties during the hour, but it was good to see all those familiar faces doing the Quaker silent worship thing on my behalf. I heard afterward that when the meeting was over and we had signed off, the gathered Quakers hung around saying nice things about me, some of which were relayed to me. It was like being eulogized while still alive, which seems more useful than the usual practice.

The scare was a fever that climbed as high as 99.7. If it had reached 100.5, I would have had to go the emergency room, and my participation in the trial would have been postponed until the fever was controlled. Fortunately, the fever went away as quickly as it appeared, and we were able to begin the trial on Monday.

Monday was a long day. It started with Jan and me leaving Champaign shortly after 5:00 in the morning so that we could get to the clinic in Chicago by 8:00. Jan's best friend Maggi flew in for a much-appreciated 24-hour visit, joining us at the clinic not long after we arrived. I had a blood test which confirmed that my counts continue to approach zero. I had another EKG. Then I was called back to a reclining chair — chair 18 — in the infusion therapy room, which is a large room with a lot of chairs separated from each other by curtains. There are a few private infusion rooms, some with beds, but I guess I didn't rate. I spent about eight hours in that chair, except for bathroom breaks.


We heard that it took a couple of hours to prepare the injection, and we expected the injection to take place around 10:00. This would allow for the eight hours of blood draws we agreed to in the consent form. It took about four hours for the injections to be delivered from the pharmacy, so we only had time for six hours of blood draws before the clinic closed, at the same time that I was receiving a bag of platelets and a bag of red blood.


Ouch! Times two!
A nap with Jan was one of the best parts of a long day in chair 18
After a final blood draw around 6:00 p.m., the three of us headed to the apartment Jan and I rented for the week and ordered dinner from a Mediterranean restaurant. It was wonderful to be able to spend the day with Maggi, especially for Jan.


Maggi left at 7:00 a.m. on Tuesday. We were back at the clinic at 8:00, scheduled for another bag of red blood and the second day of injections. I got chair 18 again. There was no order for blood, so it took a while for the blood to show up, and it again took several hours for the injections to arrive from the pharmacy. We left the clinic a little before 1:00. Leftovers for dinner, and then a lovely walk along the lakeshore around sunset.


Wednesday was easy. We arrived at 8:30 and were done around 10:00, again in chair 18. It didn't make the injections hurt any less, and they are pretty painful, but it's nice not to spend so much time in the clinic.


Thursday and Friday may be a little longer, depending on what transfusions I need and when, to get me through the weekend before I return to the clinic on Monday to visit my doctor. I will probably get more transfusions Monday, and the current plan is to have a line inserted into my arm to make it easier to draw and receive blood. 


If we're lucky, there will be more blood tests and transfusions in the coming weeks and months than the veins in my arms can handle. Having this procedure is an act of optimism, like buying green bananas.

13 comments:

  1. Hi Joe,
    Thinking of you and sending light and love.
    Love,
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great title- 'Buying Green Bananas!' Hope the day goes smoothly and you can again enjoy good food and scenery with Jan!
    Love,
    Deborah & Stephen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to hear that the therapy is underway, Joe. All the best! JTS

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's such a sweet picture of you and Jan taking a nap. It looks like Jan is infusing you with strength to get better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a lovely photo of you and Jan - may there be many more (without that mask). And may you get to a place where you decide you should invest in banana futures.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. sending strength from the waters of the Maine Coast......

    Jessie

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are thinking about you, Joe, and all the Seeleys. Clower/Cooper Clan: Laura, Lance, Duncan, Sarah & Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  8. Presumably Maggi took that memorable photo of J & J napping. No wonder she's Jan's best friend. Thank you, Maggi! Beautiful, just beautiful...

    One day, one injection at a time. We're with you in spirit.

    R & R

    ReplyDelete
  9. Checking in more often...we keep thinking of you and are sending good vibes your way!

    Eileen and Danny L

    ReplyDelete
  10. Joe and Jan,
    Greetings from rainy southern China. You will be interested to know that the Chinese government blocked your blog. However, I was able to see it by logging in through my company and bypassing the local internet system.
    I am glad Jake is helping to hold down the fort. I am sure it is a comfort and relief for all of you.
    Whether she knows it, Maggi represents all of us who long to see you but are unsure how we can help and so we think of you daily and pray for good new medicine to cure you.
    With love, Becky (in China) and Rhys

    ReplyDelete
  11. Joe,

    Thinking about you and your family and hoping for the best.

    Andy Rapp

    ReplyDelete
  12. OUR PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU AND FAMILY. JANET IS MY COUSIN ...MY SON BRANDON PRAYS FOR YOU EVERY NIGHT.....THE LORD IS HOLDING YOU CLOSE. MAY THE GRACE AND MERCY OF GOD BE WITH YOU AND YOUR FAMILY. LOVE SUSAN BUTLER/ ELIAS

    ReplyDelete