Saturday, August 18, 2012

Now I Can Talk About It

Still in the hospital. The fever that landed me back in the hospital has been under control for the day. So that's good.

But we're also dealing with several varieties of bad.

For this hospitalization, I have been designated a fall risk. I don't know how they determined that, but I don't blame them for being cautious on my behalf. As a fall risk, I have a bed alarm that would go off if I got out of bed to use the bathroom without assistance, or tried to make a break for it. I also wear yellow socks and a yellow "FALL RISK" wristband, in case I disable the alarm and make a break for it. When Jan is here, they turn the alarm off so that she can get in bed with me. Usually, she sits at the foot of the bed so she can look at me. Sometimes, she curls up there and takes a nap.

No day can be all bad when I have this
gorgeous woman on my bed.
I have trouble keeping food down. I'm taking Marinol to enhance my appetite and Zofran to manage nausea, but the vomiting comes on so unexpectedly and without any preceding nausea, that we can't time the Zofran to be reliably ahead of it. Besides being unpleasant, regularly throwing up interferes with my nutrition, which further weakens me.

Medically, the worst of the bads has to do with my vulnerability to infection. I was scheduled to start cycle 2 of the trial this coming Monday, but it's too soon to stop the intravenous drugs that are addressing the undiagnosed infection(s) behind the recent fever. So maybe the week after, if no fevers return. And the fevers have to stay away during the week of treatment. And with my immune system in its current state, that's a shaky proposition.

More bads, psychologically, are the unknown length of the treatment and the low odds of success. My previous treatments, no matter how unpleasant the side effects, always had relatively short durations (maybe a couple of weeks) and the confidence of my medical team. It's a lot easier to tolerate distress when you can count the days. This treatment could take months to show signs of success, and more often than not, it doesn't.

All of the above has caused us to step up the pace of learning about palliative care, which is what you do to remain as comfortable as possible once you decide to stop treating whatever is killing you. Which, unfortunately, is a decision we may have to make soon, especially if I can't shake the fevers or if some other complication shows up, like one of those killer fungi I had each of the previous rounds of treatment — there won't be any emergency surgeries this time. I am having a bone marrow biopsy early next week to try to gather additional information. It won't make the decision about continuing or discontinuing treatment easier, but it may make it clearer.

In the meantime, my plan is to stay in the hospital receiving IV antibiotics for as many days as possible, with a discharge right before my next chance at starting cycle 2. It's not all bad. Jan spends a lot of time here. We reminisce, we cry, we just hang out without saying anything. Best part of my day.

28 comments:

  1. Joe, I can honestly say that my heart is aching for you guys. I pray for a miracle for you, and peace in your hearts and minds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe,

    Know that there are lots of us out here pulling for you and sending you our best wishes for another medical turnaround.

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe-
    Just know we are out here thinking about you all the time and sending you lots of love!!
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joe and Jan,

    I haven't the words to express my feelings for you and yours: the heartbreak, the admiration for your courage and love in the face of incredible adversity, the desire to be of some help to any or all of you as you continue to face the ravages of this disease. As others have said, please know that you, Paul and Jake, and your extended families are in my heart, my thoughts and prayers, and that I stand at the ready to do anything I can in the realms within my own control (cooking, driving, listening, cheering, etc.). Wishing you peace, light and coolness, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  5. Want you to know what a model of love, faith and devotion your marriage is - to Jake and Paul - as well as everyone who knows you. We continue to pray for the shift in circumstance that can bolster your hope.

    Thinking about you

    Robert and Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joe,
    Keep up the good fight and know that a little piece of New England is lifting you up in prayer.
    My heart and fondest admiration goes out to you for sharing your journey with this terrible disease.
    As my dad used to say, "things always get worse before they get better." I am sure your better is just around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joe, very hard to read that last post. You are a real trooper. Thoughts and prayers go out to you and Jan. JTS

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joe and Jan,

    All I can say is, isn't love grand! Your a special couple connected together forever with the wonderful feeling of love and you have two awesome sons to prove it! I know you are both so proud. I do pray for strength for your family all the time.

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joe and Jan,

    I missed the special Quaker worship we had for you...but wanted you both to know I am holding you in the light, and wish you were not having to go through all of this. You both are strong..and I know you have really had a tough road. Joe, I hope things still turn around..your spirit is unquenchable no mater what.

    Lisa S.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hoping the food and fever stay down,the spirits stay up and that you pull out another turnaround. Thinking of all the Seeleys and hoping for the best.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  11. Joe, we're thinking of you and your family and hoping for the best.
    Leigh, Tom, and Shea

    ReplyDelete
  12. Joe and Jan,
    You're in the prayers of many that yet another miracle awaits you both. Your faith and courage have been an inspiration to us all.
    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  13. Joe,
    We miss you at HK! Stay strong and positive...there are so many people praying for you every minute.
    What a wonderful family you have surrounding you.
    Take care,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Maybe you've already figured this out, but my limited time in nursing school can help field the "risk for falls" question. You're a fall risk b/c of your low platelet count. If you fall, there will be bruising, and they want to avoid rampant internal bleeding. Especially on their watch.

    Tough post to read. I have to say, it's really a privilege that you've extended to all of us out here such a thoughtful and honest account of your experience. Especially since much (all?) of the whole blog is clearly a love letter to Jan. There are so many ways that you are blessed ... and then there's this big, fat suck-y part of the equation.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Joe--I continue to hold you in my thoughts. So hard to read the above, but not as hard as it is to live it. I've never met your wife or kids, but I can tell that your family is special. Hoping for the best for all of you.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  16. Uncle Joe,
    No matter what the outcome of all this is, just know that your story has motivated so many of us to take NOTHING for granted, and to appreciate every minute we have with our loved ones.

    Praying for the best!
    Love Ang and Rob

    PS: The person above me who called this a love letter to Jan couldn't have been more right, and its beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I met you on an Illinois soccer field and we realized we were both from Newton. One year apart. I love your wife. I've driven your son to soccer games and talked to him about things that boys talk about. I have faced mortality and I survived. You are a survivor. I know it. I feel it. Let's get that gardening shape.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Joe , you don't know me personally, but. I know your wife jan .She became a friend of mine first through marathon and beyond and then by attending Dick's camp .Every summer I would see her and at camp and at the Chicago marathon in the fall.I heard about your illness and the really rough times that you are having.You remain in my prayers and the blog that you just wrote reminds me of the rough patch that my mom was going through with her treatment for breast cancer, you are a survivor, it is really tough now , it has been for awhile but you are a survivor and will remain in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Joe and Jan,
    I missed the Friends Meeting held for you, but please know that I am holding you in the Light. I was so sorry to hear that the leukemia had returned with such a vengeance. Your and Jan's courage is amazing and such an inspiration.
    Praying for the best,
    Joan Nelshoppen



    Joan Nelshoppen

    ReplyDelete
  20. A bed alarm! Yellow socks and wristbands! Sounds like something out of The Bourne Catastrophe. Here's the deal. Look out the window tonight at 2:44 AM. A yellow (to match your socks) Penske van will pull up in the alley. On its roof will be a trampoline. Wait: I can't tell you more. A half dozen vans with flashing lights just pulled up in front of our house, FBI agents carrying guns scrambling out of them. I'll get back to you with more details later. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks. I did sound a bit too precious last night. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jan is beautiful and so are you, Joe. Thank you for reminding us (with your distinctive calmness and courage) that the bottom line is savoring the time we have with our loved ones. We keep hoping and praying for you.

    Les and Rob

    ReplyDelete
  23. Joe: My thoughts and feelings echo so many of those expressed so eloquently above. I'm holding you and Jan and the guys close in my mind and heart every day. --Molly

    ReplyDelete
  24. My thoughts are frequently with you, Jan, Jake, and Paul; not to mention your Mother and Father. The grace that you continue to display is truly inspirational.

    Now, don't even think of making a run for it. Those yellow socks have very little traction.

    marc

    ReplyDelete
  25. Joe,

    May The Force be with you. We are holding all of you close in spirit.

    With light & love,
    R & R

    ReplyDelete
  26. Joe, my thoughts are with all of you right now. There are no words to express my feelings, but if I combine all the wonderful things that all these wonderful people have said before me, it comes close. You have truly been an inspiration in how you have handled this most unimaginable hand you've been so unfairly dealt. You have a wonderful sense of humor and have shown such grace under fire.

    With much love from your giggly cousin, Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love this picture of Jan. It's like we're getting to see her through your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Jan you are such a beautiful, strong woman. Jake has said multiple times while I've been home this break, "My mom is such a badass." (In our generation's vocabulary, that's pretty much the ultimate compliment.) You are an unspeakable blessing to everyone around you.

    ReplyDelete