Thursday, November 17, 2011

Looks Like Clear Sailing Through the Sinus Passages

The return trip to my sinus passages yesterday has so far yielded positive results in the most important ways. I went down at 3:00 p.m. for my 2:00 p.m. procedure, which started around 5:00 p.m. A kind secretary brought me a phone so that I could call Jan and let her know about the delay, so that she didn't get concerned that my procedure had turned into something much more involved than we were anticipating.

The surgeons did not see any more fungus. They took additional samples, to make sure. The initial tests on those samples came back negative. They still need to wait a few days for a final verdict, but so far, so good. I think the packing stays in for that same period of time.

Because they took more samples, my nose is still packed with internal splints and other stuff. There is less packing than before, and there is less drainage both out my nostrils and down the back of my throat. (More small victories.) I still have to breathe through my mouth, which quickly gets intensely dry. Last night, each time I woke up, my mouth and lips were so dry that I could not close my lips around a straw or the lip of a cup. I had open my mouth, pour a little water in, and then swish it around to moisten the tissues enough that my mouth would actually function.

I have a breathing mask that supposedly provides more humid air. I have been using it for the last several days, and it seemed to be helpful. For some reason, it isn't helping with the current mouth dryness. Sipping water does help, but that technique is incompatible with sleep.

Some time today, I am going to get a new line for medications and transfusions. The one going into my chest is infected and needs to come out. So far, based on tests and the relative lack of fevers, that infection appears to be contained on the surface of my skin.

Never a dull moment! I want some dull moments.

11 comments:

  1. Hooray for no signs of fungus! I hope the nose packing comes out and you can breathe normally again SOON. Until then, can they poke a hole in the mask and hook up a tiny steam device to it?

    As always, we're all thinking of you around here at HK and visualizing your complete recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for clear sailing through the sinus passages! (Talk about imagery that could easily be taken too far...) That's great news!

    Love,
    Karl

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm hoping to see a cartoon of your personal version of the Fantastic Voyage. When you're up to it.

    hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stay strong, Mister!
    You're doin' great!
    Thinking of you and sending much love.
    Love,
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  5. YESSSSS about the all-clear on the fungal infection. That is great news!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried breathing exclusively through my mouth during the time it took to read your post. No fun! Small victories are at least victories--rooting for some huge ones in the near future. You are missed!

    -Aleta

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's great, but does that mean no more bearded lady prospect? Next you'll have to figure out what to do with all the time you've been spending in x-ray.
    JNR

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am thinking about you and praying for a few of those dull moments for you, and how about some dull sleeping moments for long periods of time!

    Hang in there!

    Lynn Zoll

    ReplyDelete
  9. We're all cheering for you Joe and wishing you some deep sleep.

    Sometimes the smallest victories can be the sweetest.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stay strong, Joe! We are all rooting for you and hoping for the best.

    Bethany B.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Joe,

    Thank goodness for small victories! So glad to know they seem to have got all the fungus! Does vaseline on your lips help at all with dryness? Cheering for you! Deborah

    ReplyDelete