Sunday, November 27, 2011

My Black Friday Tale of Very Mild Woe

I had been both dreading and looking forward the last day of this round of chemo. The cold hand and foot treatment is no fun, but Friday would be the last one.

I was all set. I had the next Frasier DVD in the player. I was mentally prepared for the two hours of chilling. Once I'm iced-in, I'm stuck in bed with my DVD controller and my little handheld urinal.

As soon as the drip started, I knew something was wrong. On Thursday, I had been watching disc 1 of Season 2 of Frasier, and Niles was barely repressing his infatuation with Daphne. Suddenly, they appeared to be a couple, with Daphne pregnant. Was it a dream sequence?

Then it came to me. When Jan and I had earlier been looking through the DVDs, we noticed that one of the box sets had two Disc Twos, and one of the extras was a different color. Possessing between us only two Ivy League bachelor's degrees and two U of I master's degrees, we just figured it was a mystery. If only we had had a kindergartner with us to suggest that the red disc belonged in the red box.

So, I was stuck many seasons in the future from where I had left off the day before. And since that was the worst thing that happened to me all day, it was a pretty good day.

2 comments:

  1. This is good woe. Would it be bad to wish you more days like this? Hope you're feeling well(ish?).

    Fun fact coincidence - turns out your son Jake roomed @ Haverford his freshman year with my friend Matt Milleman (well, really, his mom is my friend, but I'm a big Matt Milleman fan). So - more support and positive thoughts to you from Baltimore.

    Keep up the good days!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Howdy Joe!
    I'm really sorry to hear about that sweet potato pie. I was really hoping that was goin' to be excellent. Oh well...
    Wishing you lots of good vibes and better food.
    Much love,
    Neil

    ReplyDelete