Thursday, December 1, 2011

My Campaign for Quiche

I have mentioned before that the improvement in the food service has been tremendous: many new healthy choices, an after-hours menu, and daily inquiries about me and my food orders. Patients can also order from the staff cafeteria menu for lunch and dinner on weekdays, further adding to the variety available.

And I have found the food service open to modifications. One common modification for me lately: the hummus appetizer with cucumbers, carrots, and pita chips, substituting extra cucumbers for the carrots and pita chips.

There are two women with responsibility for two floors, and I think they stop by each room at least once a day to check in with the patients. I think one may be responsible for recording information about each patient, while the other one is focused on helping patients find items that may appeal to them, but they seem to ask similar questions and make similar suggestions. And there is an occasional phone call asking for my overall feedback on the service.

My feedback: I am very impressed with how thoroughly the hospital system has embraced the idea that eating well is a critical part of the patient experience.

(Ironically, as I write this, I have experienced my first delivery delay. We pretty consistently receive our order within 45 minutes, and tonight's dinner took 90 minutes to get here. Given the length of my current stay, that's still very good performance overall.)

On Sunday, Jan visited with some leftovers from the Champaign Thanksgiving dinner she and the boys had made on Friday. (I had joined via Skype, from a laptop sitting on a counter overlooking the dining room table.) These leftovers were much better than the Boston Market offerings we had shared on Thursday. My favorites were a cranberry chutney that Jan made, pumpkin cheesecake that Paul made, and a ham and gouda cheesecake quiche that Jake made.

While enjoying my leftovers, I had a revelation: there was no quiche on the menu, and there should be. For many chemo (and other) patients, it is hard to get enough nutrition. People have low appetites, taste buds have gone haywire, mouths have sores in them. In general, eating is a chore. The typical solution is to offer these patients a liquid nutritional supplement such as Ensure or Boost, which packs a lot of carbs, protein, and fat into a small drinkable package. My personal experience, and I know this is true for others, is that these drinks are nauseatingly sweet. I can't drink them, especially with chemo mouth.

But cold quiche, on the other hand... loaded with carbs, protein, and fat; smooth and creamy; not sweet... perfect.

The next time my regular food service visitors stopped by, I pitched quiche as a menu addition. A nutritionist also stopped by — a weekly occurrence, I think — and I made the case for quiche to her, too. They all agreed it would be a good idea and said they would pass it on. One of my daily food service visitors also told me quiche is available in the staff cafeteria two mornings a week. Patients cannot order from the cafeteria in the morning, but she promised to bring me some personally. Which she did. (It was not as creamy as I think a quiche should be, but it was decent.)

Operation Quiche is not as significant as my previous Patients Need Better Food Campaign, but that's a great thing. When you are suggesting a single addition to the menu instead of arguing for a total overhaul, you're in a pretty good place.

5 comments:

  1. I think they should add smoothies to the list of food options for patients who are having trouble eating - I think it would be a far better option than the way too sweet ensure. They could adjust the sweetness to the patients' liking, and have options for adding protein powder, peanut butter, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "After-hours menu"? How convenient for when you've been out clubbing and are feeling famished in the wee hours!

    Nice that they have hummus. But do they have flavors of hummus (roasted red pepper, chipotle, etc.)? Now that would be gourmet...

    It was kind of that staff person to bring you the quiche. Sounds like they need a new recipe, though. Smoothies are also a great idea, seems to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A ham and gouda cheesecake? Given the context of this post, am I correct in assuming it was really a ham and gouda quiche? Because (1) that makes more sense to me and (2) it seems unfair for a ham and gouda cheesecake to have to go head-to-head with a pumpkin cheesecake.

    But what do I know? Maybe Jake's onto something here ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could it be the "real men" effect" on the quiche?
    Joe, it's a very good thought though. I think you are offering the food service staff a wonderful opportunity for growth iand improvments n the right direction! I'm sorry you have been able to make it such an extensive study but gosh are they lucky! I hope they pay attention !!
    I am amazed that a fruit and yogurt smoothie is not an option. I want to see if they are offered in the Boston area...don't recall, Mara may know, she is correct, it would be a much healthier option, ensure is awful!!!
    Much love, Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let them eat quiche, as Marie-Antoinette would have put it!

    As someone who loves to cook and agrees whole-heartedly with you that good nutrition is fundamental to good health, I applaud your campaign to keep nudging the hospital food service into ever more appealing and varied options. The quiche idea is a brilliant one for making something tasty, savory and palatable for tender mouths, while easily varied over time and according to seasonal ingredients. Jake's ham and gouda version sounds superb (as does Paul's pumpkin cheesecake, in the dessert line-up).

    What about soups -- savory, creamy, potentially packed with nutrients and easy to swallow, hot or cold?
    Other spreads: guacamole, black bean, spinach and artichoke, cheese based -- with veggies?
    Or risottos, packed with greens or beta-carotene-charged veggies?

    As part of the C-U circle that is sharing meals with Jan and Paul, I'll include some variations on these themes in my next contributions, and perhaps some more good leftovers will make their way to you, Joe.

    In the meantime, know that all of us are rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete