Monday, January 2, 2012

D+20 — Settling In

We're finishing our third day in the apartment. It's going about as well as it can.

Yesterday, I went to the hospital for blood tests and possible transfusions, as ordered by the person in charge of discharging me. Surprisingly, to us, the hospital was not expecting me, and we had to wait about 40 minutes in Admitting for a doctor to put in an order. The woman in the admitting office who was serving us told us that what we should have done was call ahead to find out if there was a room available and to set in motion the process of getting an order. This would have been useful information to have upon discharge. We were not alone in our circumstances, as two other patients showed up while we waited in Admitting and found themselves in the same unexpected position.

Luckily, I didn't need any platelets or red blood cells, which is good both because we got to leave within an hour of the blood draw and because it means the marrow is producing enough of those cells to keep me above the danger line for those two types of cells. The WBC has been drifting down since its high of 3.1 (3100), but nobody medical seems concerned as long as there are enough neutrophils to fight infection, and there's still a good cushion there.

A friend of ours drove up from Champaign for a very brief visit while we in the hospital and also brought a few household supplies from our house: cutting board, lemon squeezer, drying rack... items you don't always find in a "fully furnished" apartment. We keep discovering more things that are lacking, some of which really should be provided — pot holders, lids for pots — and others that we just would like to have — space heater, baking sheet.

After the hospital visit, my home care nurse came and gave me a magnesium infusion.

Today, I went for a couple of 15-minute walks... inside the apartment. It was a little slippery outside, and very cold.

My doctor, back from her two-week vacation, called to see how I was doing (on a holiday — she's really good). Mostly, I feel like I am 90 years old. I walk very slowly, and I am often tired. She was not surprised, given all that has happened to me since the leukemia returned.

One useful piece of information we learned from her was that, while it could be less or it could be more, I should plan to be in Chicago for a couple of months. This is going to take some planning, since Jan cannot be up here the whole time. We are lucky that my parents are retired and able to come out for lengthy caretaking trips.

9 comments:

  1. Your blog has revealed a lot of gaps in patient care, and at least some of them must have financial repercussions! I hope someone who has the ability to change things is reading....

    ReplyDelete
  2. It still surprises me how often doctor-patient communication lacks the "here's what you should expect" piece.

    I think I was expecting this recovery time to be similar to your experience last March and April. Maybe you guys were, too. But it's becoming obvious that comparing the two post-transplant periods is really apples to oranges. And not helpful.

    Medical events are scary, anxious times even with the most complete info. Having no expectations is hard. Having overly optimistic expectations (and not meeting them) is worse.

    They could/should have given you a better sense of what the recovery period would look like and how it would differ from last time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe,

    Glad you found an apartment nearby. Remember on the slow walk (90 yr thing), walk before you can run. :) Hope all continues well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joe, you've mentioned magnesium a time or two. Why do they (need to) give that to you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. JBG: One or more of the current meds I am taking depletes magnesium to unsafe levels, and it can only be replenished through IV without causing diarrhea. (Think milk of magnesia.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey - you said you were looking for "normal," so if nothing else, you had a pretty normal healthcare experience this time.

    I know it's slow, but it's great to see you're getting around, even if it's a little at a time. Every day between your "home" and your hospital room is to the better, so I wouldn't worry too much about feeling 90 unless you start yelling at kids to get off of your lawn, or someone has to point out that your left-turn signal has been on for several miles...

    JNR

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kate: Yes, we were expecting a similar recovery experience this time, and we have had that expectation thoroughly replaced. In August, I was still relatively early in the recovery process, and since then I have had four chemotherapy treatments, a fungal infection of the sinuses, and a stem cell transplant. Each of these is hard on the body, and piling them on top of each other over four months has left me far more battered physically than I was after the first transplant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joe - I'm just glad to hear that you're able to get up and move about. Even if you feel like 90...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joe I am so thrilled to hear that you are able to get out and about. That must be so great for you after all that time stuck indoors!!!

    Zanne

    ReplyDelete