Thursday, January 5, 2012

D+23 — Milestones

I have reached a few milestones in the last several days.

  • Yesterday, I got out of the tub unassisted. It might have been better technique, or a little more strength, or some of each.
  • Yesterday, I was finally able to break my large pills in half. Again, not sure about the mix of technique and strength involved, but it makes me feel good to be able to do it myself.
  • Yesterday, I had my first squares of chocolate (Trader Joe's Bittersweet Chocolate with Almonds) in a long time. It has been a while since chocolate in this form appealed to me, and chocolate is one of my favorite food groups, so this is a big step. Chocolate, especially with nuts, is also a great and compact source of fat and calories, which I am currently trying to maximize.
  • Today, I walked in the neighborhood for the first time, for 25 minutes. My dad and I discovered several interesting takeout options.
Tomorrow, I have lab tests and an appointment with a nurse practitioner for a check-up. In roughly a week, I have my next bone marrow biopsy.


14 comments:

  1. How did you feel at the end of the walk? Did you have to stop for rests or were you able to go non-stop? Either way, that's a pretty fair milestone in itself.

    The chocolate speaks for itself.

    JNR

    ReplyDelete
  2. One step at a time . . . after another, and another, and another. You're doing great, Joe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for small miracles. Chocolate, showers, walks. I can't wait to hear more!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to hear that you're back to enjoying chocolate - that's an excellent sign of progress! (along with the other milestones).

    As for takeout options in the neighborhood, if Middle Eastern food appeals to you, Aimee, Jess and I REALLY really liked the Nile restaurant, on 55th, just east of the METRA.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep on trucking', Joe!!! Let me know when visitors/helpers might be welcome/needed. My mom and I can rendezvous in Chicago. Love, Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vitamin C (chocolate) one of my favorite supplements. Keep at it.
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Joe,
    Thinking about you and hoping you are feeling stronger each day.
    Love
    Ginger, Ralph, Angela, Alli

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great milestones. And, by the way, I can second Mara's review of the Nile - terrific. Plus, if you're in the U Chicago area (57th- 53rd or so), I can also recommend Snail (Thai)on 55th, The Medici (mostly sadnwishes)and Eduardo's (deep dish pizza)- across from the Nile. There's a Natural Food store on 55th - Open Produce. Small but pretty good. Also, if you're looking for reading material, there's a co-op (Seminary Co-op) on the U Chicago campus that reminds me of the NE Mobile bookfair. My daughter tells me they also have a 2nd location on 57th (57th St co-op or something equally clever). Keep wandering and getting stronger! Grow them cells . . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. sanwiches, not sadnwishes. Where's autocorrect when you need it??

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sarah, try "subs" - even though it oversimplifies...

    JNR

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Jeff - that's a good idea - simplification works for me, and subs is MUCH easier to spell.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  12. Here's to a healthier 2012, Joe and Jan. We are keeping you guys in our thoughts always.
    Eileen and Danny Lichtblau

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't underestimate the healing power of chocolate and almonds. JTS

    ReplyDelete