Monday, January 9, 2012

D+27 — Quick Update

It was kind of a lost day, with about 5 hours of tests and appointments to start off the day, followed by some serious napping.

My blood tests show a small but not necessarily meaningful uptick in most numbers. The numbers had been drifting down, but not enough to alarm the doctors.

The big issue yesterday was that my infusion line was blocked. We think my dad and I failed to flush the line the day before, leaving some blood to clog things up. Fortunately, an IV therapist was able to open up the line today.

The big issue of today was a sharp stabbing pain at the bottom of my right ribcage, reminding me of both my gallstones and my pulmonary embolism. We still don't know what the cause is, but some over-the-counter pain relief (doctor's recommendation until she figures out what the problem is) has helped.

Next week, I have a bone marrow biopsy and an appointment with the ENT folks to check on my sinuses. As of now, those are my next visits to the clinic.

Jan was here yesterday and today, visiting me and giving my dad a break. It was a win-win-win. My dad got a break from 24/7 caregiving and went to the Blue Man Group. I got to see my amazing wife. And Jan got to help bathe her now scrawny husband, and also shepherd me through a five-hour clinic visit and watch me nap.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Joe- just got caught up on the 2012 posts---glad to hear there's an uptake in numbers and hope things are going ok in the apartment---please let me know if there's anything I can bring to you - kitchen items, groceries, blueberry tea? anything at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joe,
    Ya keep gettin' better! Way to go!
    Thinking of you.
    Much love,
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy, Jan really hit the lottery on that one, huh? ;)

    ReplyDelete