Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Celebrate?

Last summer, my 100-day biopsy provided the first indication that I was relapsing after my transplant, leading to a longer and and more difficult road to a second transplant. The second time through has been harder in many ways, physically and mentally, and that difference extends to the recovery.

One hundred days after my first transplant, I weighed around 190 and I was training for a 5K. I was working well over 50% time. My hair had come back.

One hundred days after my second transplant, I weighed less than 155 and I am not able to run at all. I am working less than 25%, and I can't open the dryer with my right (dominant) hand or jars with any hand. And my skin keeps falling off.

But...

Where it counts, I'm way ahead of where I was at this point the first time. Yesterday, I got the results of the 100-day bone marrow biopsy for my second transplant.

Out of 400 cells examined, none carried the deletion-7 genetic marker of my leukemia. 0%!
Out of another 400 cells, all were XX (and therefore from my female donor). 100%!

Perfect scores!

My blood counts continue to be very good as well, and I have started gaining weight since beginning prednisone a week ago. And while I still have some new rashes, the percentage of body in a rashy state is lower than it was a week ago.

This is all great news. In fact, it is the best news I could have received regarding my leukemia.

But...

I thought I would be in a more purely celebratory mood if I got this news. Instead, I'm happy, for now. I'm beating leukemia, for now. This is a big difference between rounds one and two. I've gone from thinking of leukemia as something you can beat to thinking of it as something you can beat, for now

If you're lucky, it stays beaten for long enough that if it comes back, the treatments have improved so much that beating it again has become routine and precise and effective and a lot less dangerous to the patient. And, eventually, something else kills you, years down the road. Victory!

In the meantime, I am celebrating, in my way. I live for now. I literally stop and smell the flowers. I don't care what passersby think of the bald man sticking his nose into every flowering tree and shrub he can find. When Jan and I take evening walks, I try to track down the various perfumes that waft our way. It's been a strange spring, with lots of blooming schedules pushed earlier and on top of each other, but it's been a great spring for a guy with a nose that's hungry to smell them all.

14 comments:

  1. Jana-Michel WestallApril 3, 2012 at 8:12 PM

    Really, all of us should be living for right now. I don't care that people look at me funny for standing outside, looking up to the sky, enjoying the warmth of the sun and the perfume of a variety of flowers in the air. I think it's wonderful that you are smelling all of the different flowers and if you come upon some lilacs, give them an extra sniff for me. We don't have them here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the BEST blog posting....FOR NOW! They will get even better and better. I'm going outside right now to smell my early daffodils!!! LOVE YOU GUYS!!!
    The Needham Colarussos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Splendid news Joe! You are an inspiration, including inspiring the smells of those flowers. And enjoy all the spring birds too, they are living (and singing) for now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In honor or your amazing spirit, I just went outside and spent some time smelling my hyacinths!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One day at a time, it is all any of us can do; enjoy every moment!

    Deborah & Stephen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great news, Joe. Here's to you and your nose!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's great that your nose can help you enjoy some of the small pleasures of life, especially considering that for awhile there it was making your life so miserable

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great catch, Mara. Wish I'd thought of it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a difficult path to travel to learn the most important lesson of all: "In the moment" is all any of us really have. What a blessing and a gift that you KNOW that beyond a doubt. Thank you for reminding us. Let us give thanks.

    Rhonda & Rich

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent news - if anyone gives you a hard time, shed on them. Just watch out for bees.

    JNR

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Joe,
    Perfect scores! Awesome! Fantastic! I am happy for you.
    I wish for you the best and send lots of love.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  12. Joe,
    I just hugged and kissed my family in your honor -- we should all stop and smell those roses and take evening walks with each other and just enjoy springtime and life. Congratulations to you and your family. So happy for you and looking forward to seeing you soon!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete