Tuesday, April 17, 2012

In Remission

It has taken me a couple of weeks to realize that all those perfect numbers from my last bone marrow biopsy mean that my leukemia is in remission. That two-word phrase is very useful for providing a short answer to people who ask about my health. It captures both having achieved the treatment goal while acknowledging the potential impermanence of the new state.

Notes from yesterday's appointment:

  • I have traded diseases, leukemia for graft-vs-host. I consider this an excellent trade, like trading a homicidal roommate for one with some extremely annoying habits.
  • My platelet counts fell dramatically since the previous week. This may be due to ongoing GVHD, but my doctor isn't sure. She tells me not to worry about it, and she tells me she knows I will anyway. She's right. Next week, we will do blood tests to look for causes.
  • My doctor says few patients do as well after their second transplant as I am doing.
In remission. Weak, with a confused and misguided and suppressed immune system that provides woefully inadequate defense against infection while still managing to mess with my skin and who knows what else. But in remission. Sweet words.

14 comments:

  1. Woohoo! Praise God! That is wonderful news, Joe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very happy to hear all this good news.

    Mark Bridger

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is fantastic, Joe -- congratulations! . . . That word doesn't seem quite good enough, somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess at this point its still too much to ask for you to be in remission AND for you platelet counts to be stable. But just being in remission sounds pretty darn good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's really great news, Joe! Yes, those are two very sweet words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. May you be in continued remission. Congratulations. We'll hope your platelets join the party soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful news cousin! See you next weekend

    ReplyDelete
  8. Catching up on your progress form Beantown. Remission. Oh, happy days!!!

    Rich and Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woooohoooo!!!! I saw this first in the marathon's website, so I had to come and check your blog!! Great news!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. REMISSION??!! How did I miss this post until now?? What wonderful news. So happy for you and your family. Please continue along this path. It is working well.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete