Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Start With a Smile

I have noticed that I smile when I wake up in the morning. It's not the result of a conscious thought, and it happens every day. It's a quick, small smile, a ripple on a pond hinting at an unseen fish.

Notes from yesterday's doctor's appointment:

  • My platelets are significantly down, again. The last four readings have been 105, 96, 46, and 32. (150 is the start of normal.) 105 was the peak of a consistent increase since my transplant, and 96 was the first reading after starting sirolimus to combat GVHD.
  • Sirolimus causes reduced platelets in 30% of patients, so it's a likely culprit, and I will no longer be taking it. If this change causes my GVHD to rage, I may start taking tacrolimus (ProGraf) again. I took tacrolimus after each transplant. The two drugs are closely related.
  • Everything else is good: weight's up, hemoglobin and white blood cell counts normal. I have less rash than last week, though it still pops up here and there. Yesterday, I had an intense outbreak on the backs of my hands. Bright red and painful. Today, it's gone.

5 comments:

  1. Joe,

    It sounds like you continue to make strides and I'm happy for you. I understand you guys are involved in the marathon this weekend - good luck to those of you walking, running or just hanging out. Say hi to my other cousins for me!

    Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joe, Hope that your platelets rebound and that the rash evens out. Look forward to the day when you run out of complications to write about. We will miss you at the 30th reunion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there, Joe. Rose and I just got back from Florida, a long, 3-day drive, but it's good to be back home again in Indiana. Our prayers continue, aimed dead center at your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy May Day. Hoping you are doing well and life at the Seeley home is calmer now that the marathon is over. You guys are amazing!
    Eileen and Danny Lichtblau

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish I could give you some of my platelets...apparently I had very good ones at one time (used to donate double or tripple units every other month). Of course, now they do not want them...at least not until I am cancer free for at least 12 months... and after that, who knows.

    You continue to be an inspiration, Joe.

    ReplyDelete