Friday, April 13, 2012

In the PredniZone

I am two and a half weeks into my own personal Steroid Era, and it's great!

I started taking prednisone 18 days ago to manage out-of-control graft-vs-host symptoms: dramatic weight loss (despite 3000 calories per day), persistent full-body rashes, and muscle and tendon pain that prevented me from fully extending my arms. I needed help opening my special drinks (Boost, Ensure). I was also generally weak and tired.

Since beginning the new medication, I have gained about 14 pounds! A couple of days ago, for the first time in months, I had no active rash! My arm muscles are still tight and painful, but I can fully extend them! Recently, I opened a Boost drink without even using my special rubber gripper cloth!!!

Any downsides? Well, I'm writing this at 3 in the morning. Difficulty sleeping is one of the common side effects, along with increased appetite (check), feeling of a whirling motion, indigestion, increased sweating, mood changes, nervousness. Two out of seven isn't bad, especially when one of them (appetite) is a benefit at this point.

Maybe I should count mood changes, too, but I think "mood changes" would be ups and downs, whereas I'm just up.

I read that an "exaggerated sense of well-being" is listed as one of the serious side effects requiring medical attention. So if I get too excited about walking down the stairs without holding the railing, or too pleased with myself for how my Asian cole slaw turned out — and who wouldn't pat himself on the back for going all out and toasting the sesame seeds and the slivered almonds? — we might have to call the doctor.

In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy being in the predniZone.

6 comments:

  1. Glad your are in the PredniZone. You continue to be an inspiration.

    Jeff Loeb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joe - the other day I just happened to do a search for you and Jan to see if you were still running and I found this blog - it was quite a shock! But the positive attitude that comes through in these is amazing ... and it sure made me count my blessings. At any rate, I wanted you to know that you have another person pulling for you ...

    -Mike Sennett

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think its high time you got some 'perks' out of your treatment - might as well enjoy it for as long as it lasts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Checking in with your progress and happy to see that you had a 100% on your recent test! Yes, stopping to smell the flowers everyday is something we all need to do. You, Jan and the boys are in our prayers and thoughts.
    Eileen and Danny

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finally gaining weight and feeling good to boot: is this the Seeley version of 'Rhoid Rage?

    JNR

    ReplyDelete
  6. Question ~ how are you supposed to tell the difference between a *chemically induced* exaggerated sense of well being from a *been to hell and back and now I'm smelling the flowers* exaggerated sense of well being? Seems like a tricky distinction.

    I say ride it out as long as you like. You've more than earned it.

    ReplyDelete