Thursday, March 3, 2011

D-1

(FYI: The title reads "D minus 1.")

A very good night of sleep, with some help from my little friend (Ambien). The usual disruptions, but I got over them quickly. The bloodletting was from the arm this time, but expertly done -- barely felt it.

The nurse is going to work with me to get in the workout. She'll let me know when the bag changeover is coming, with more than an hour's notice, so I'll be able to finish running just before. We're going to look into fixing the water pressure, and it may be possible to detach the shower head from the wall.

Got a note from the editor of an internal medical center publication. She's doing a story about the new president and wants to quote some of the nice things I said about her on the blog. She's also going to give the name of the blog, so maybe some other folks here will take a look. (FYI: If you Google "joe's blasts," the blog is #1.)

Lentils and couscous for lunch. (From my private pantry, of course.)

Excellent run. A little over 2 miles, and by the end I was running at a 13:40 pace. Would have run longer, but my drips end a little ahead of schedule. We're trying to keep the disconnection time to under 20 minutes, so as soon as the pumps stop, I end my run, return to the room, and call the nurse.

She bags up the ports -- I've been doing it myself lately, but it's faster if someone else does it. I have figured out how to remove the shower head from its wall track -- something any two-year-old could do in a few minutes, though it took me seven weeks -- and I'm hoping it helps a lot. It does. In, wet, soaped, rinsed, and out in 5:06! (Finally, a use for my running watch.) Towel off, put on hospital pants (faster than the spatial puzzle that is the hospital gown), call the nurse -- 9:47! She comes in, does some extra housekeeping on the lines and ports, and gets me connected and the pumps on -- 15:49! I didn't get a watch on the initial port-bagging phase, but it was surely less than 4 minutes, so I call it a win. Victory!

Without the extra line/port housekeeping, I think we will lower our time tomorrow.

Doctors come in, ask how I'm doing. Great! The transplant is scheduled for 2:00 p.m. (hospital time). Am I doing anything special for tomorrow's big event? Jan's coming up for a long weekend, but I hadn't been planning anything special.

The attending tells me about a "goofy" lady who was doing some Buddhist sand art during the transfusion. I won't be doing that, but it doesn't sound crazy to me. If you think it helps, there's a good chance that it does, even if not for the reason you think it does. Placebos, for example, are remarkably effective in many circumstances, with no side effects. Our belief that something is helping triggers the release of hormones and other chemicals that actually do help. There's nothing goofy about enlisting our own internal forces, through prayer or sand art or music or meditation or comedy, to assist the medical team. And maybe those methods work for the reasons that we believe they do, even if the doctors don't believe it.

A member of the Infectious Disease Team pops in, partly to see how I'm doing, but also to ask if I have any ideas for making Ensure more palatable. A fellow patient is reduced to drinking that and is having a hard time getting it down. Fortunately (for me, not for the other patient), I have never had Ensure and have no ideas. Anyone? Make sure it's cold?

Another productive day of telecommuting. I build my first iPad prototype. I am slightly hampered by connectivity problems that keep me from reaching my network at work. Coincidentally, IT staff was in the corridor when I emerged from my room to get hot water for my lentils, and they acknowledged they were having problems and would look into it.

I got a call around 5:00 letting me know they didn't see any problems at their end, and that they didn't officially support the kind of VPN access I've been using since I got here, and since it was the end of the day nothing could get fixed until tomorrow. But the woman calling gathered some information about my hardware and software and said she would try to cash in a favor tomorrow.

Five minutes later, my access was restored. Maybe they fixed something, or maybe they stopped fixing things and went home. Either way, I was able to check e-mail and enter my daily activity minutes in the Winter Fitness Challenge. Grand Prize: an iPad!

Dinner will be the Spicy Asian Noodles again, this time a little spicier and with grilled chicken.

Tonight: e-mail, some race web work, calls, a few sitcoms...

Tomorrow: D-0!

9 comments:

  1. (from Susan Pollock, via e-mail)

    Hi, Joe:
    The blog commenting was beyond my technical capabilities. So have the ID try this with Ensure:
    Pour into a flat glass pan (so it has room to spread out) and place in the freezer. After 30 or 45 min, scrape across the bottom of the pan to break up the "sheet" and then spread out and freeze again for 30 to 45 min. Do this 2 or 3 times. This is like making Italian ice, but with a not-so-tasty ingredient. The cold will make the flavor less strong, and the ice crystals will disguise the texture--with some luck.

    Take care,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. INSTEAD of Ensure, try to get someone who loves you to cook up a not too sweet flan (or custard) -- essentially eggs & milk -- as Lauren did for Dad when he was in the hospital and needed the nutrition. The taste was great and no phony chemicals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Ensure is not for me, it's for another patient. I don't think custom custard is an option.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joe,

    Wishing you the best day possible tomorrow - we are cheering you on!

    Best,
    Deborah & Stephen

    ReplyDelete
  5. So I had Dr. Burnham sign my Newton South yearbook senior year, and he signed it, "Fight Fiercely!" That was an in-joke that I didn't get ("Fight Fiercely, Harvard") but I think it applies here-- give 'em the good fight, Joe!

    Ned

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Uncle Joe,

    Q: Why did the Silly Billy sit on the clock?
    A: He wanted to be on time!

    I think it's funny that you wrote "Marrow" instead of Mara! I hope you feel better soon.

    love,
    Garrett

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Uncle Joe,

    Q: Why did the Silly Billy tiptoe past the medicine cabinet?
    A: He didn't want to wake the sleeping pills!

    I hope that the marrow transplant goes okay.

    love,
    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Joe,

    D-Day! We'll be thinking of you all day, even right now as you are (we hope) sleeping well. We'll take advantage of this early time zone and get a jump on the Good Vibe Train!

    Go UC medical team!
    Go Mara/marrow cells!
    Go Joe! Be a good host!
    Leuk -- mind your P's & Q's!

    Love to you, Jan, Paul & Jake -- holding you all in our thoughts today!

    big hugs,
    Kate & Karl

    ReplyDelete
  9. Best wishes for a successful day all around. We are praying extra for you today. The McGrews

    ReplyDelete