Tuesday, March 15, 2011

D+11 -- A Joyful Pain

After midnight vitals, I have trouble getting back to sleep. This has been common, though the anti-dynamic duo of Ambien and Atavan have been fairly effective in the past, and I went to bed with both of them this night.

The problem this time is that I have these small aches, all over, but mostly in my legs. "Now what? Oh, wait... I've read about this... side effects Mara might (did) experience as the Neupogen puts stem cells into overdrive, and the marrow becomes crowded with new cells. That would be awesome!"

The pain isn't bad, but it's enough to keep me awake. Tylenol to the rescue, followed by a good, long sleep (by hospital standards).

When I wake up, I do some work for the race.

Breakfast is from Food Service, enhanced from the pantry: oatmeal with fruit cocktail (ordered peaches -- close enough), dried cranberries, walnuts, whipped topping (because I'm a small-time hedonist); orange; hard-boiled egg; grape juice. I don't drink the grape juice straight -- too sweet -- but a little of it in a glass of ice water is refreshing.

Almost makes you wish you were, right?
Some work, by phone and computer.

A call from my supervising physician. She sounds happy. She tells me my counts are looking great. Today's WBC is 1400. (200, 300, 700, 1400...) It's looking likely that I get to go home this weekend. (!) Another bit of good news is that, contrary to my expectations, my only guaranteed return visits to clinic are Monday mornings. I may need to return more often if complications (such as an infection) appear, or if the regular Monday bloodwork turns up something that requires further testing. 

A nurse comes in and tells me we are starting to shift some of the IV medications to tablet or capsule form, another necessary step before being able to leave. The countdown has definitely begun, though it is less determined than a rocket launch. It could go, "4, 4, 3, 2, 2, 1..."

The fellow brings me a copy of the Black Book.

Meanwhile, following the guidance of her copy of the black book, Jan has been arranging the housecleaning, the carpet-cleaning, the removal of couches, the purchase of couches. Also, co-directing a marathon and publishing a magazine. Yikes.

The attending stops by. Yes, the counts are good. (His guess for today had been 2000, so he's 1 for 2 on predictions.) I mention that the information in the Black Book and the information from various medical staff is not consistent. Don't have any houseplants. Houseplants are OK, but not up close and not where you spend a lot of time.

We have already determined that the Black Book dietary information is outdated, but there are other issues. One page reads as if you can't shop, cook or drive. Another page says to avoid grocery shopping. Yet another page says to shop when the store isn't crowded. (But it doesn't mention that you need to thoroughly wipe the shopping cart handles, which are cesspools in an easy-to-grab form.) Some passages are repeated often from one section to another. It may be relevant to display that information in multiple places, but it should be clearly identified as repeated information, because otherwise the reader tends to skip over it and may skip too far. Overall, the book reads like a committee product that lacked an editor, which seems pretty likely.

The attending asks if I would look through the book and provide feedback. You get three guesses as to my response, though if you need three for a yes/no question there's something wrong with your reasoning skills, and if you've been reading this blog, you only need one, and it shouldn't be a guess.

My dad arrives around noon. I have lunch and do some more work, for Human Kinetics and the race. Dad heads off to check into his lodging and to bring back dinner.

Feeling a little bit more of that joyful pain. During the day, it's not disruptive enough to bother asking for Tylenol.

1400!

12 comments:

  1. I can only imagine how lucky with the revised black book will be! 1400 is awesome! I'm predicting 2500+ tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe, such good news for you! I couldn't be happier for you - good counts, going home soon - great news all the way around.

    I hope all goes as planned and you get to go home real soon. I'll bet the rest of your family is just as excited about you going home. And Jan gets to buy new furniture under the guise of accommodating your heath needs. Does your insurance cover that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The insurance covers a lot more than we expected, and more than it would have last year. (Thanks to Obama and his nationalization of the medico-insurance complex, or whatever it is that Glenn Beck thinks happened.) But I'm afraid furniture replacement is not on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, Joe!!! I'm going to miss that old futon when I visit next! :-)

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading your blog as I head off to bed. Such great news, Joe. We can't wait to have you back in Champaign. Let the numbers keep rising!

    Jill and Scott

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - very exciting. Would you believe I now have several people at work asking about you (not only do they not actually know you, but some barely know me).

    Are you sure you won't miss your room? Will you have a nice packet of yellow gowns and blue gloves at the entrance to your home that people can put on before they enter, to remind you of the old times? And what about Leuk? What about seeing a sample being tubed?

    OK - I'm getting ahead of myself: one day at a time. Just realized that we missed an opportunity to have a WBC pool. Maybe a neutrophil-count pool? Are you getting separate neutro counts yet?

    Not bad for a too-small dose of "old" cells - way to go, Mara!

    JNR

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joe, are they providing you with a copy of the Black Book in electronic form? I would think that would make providing the free editing they want a lot easier.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such great news!! I am so very happy for ALL of you, and the new furniture is an unexpected perk!

    Enjoy your houseplants, or not, or maybe, but not too close!

    Also, the rule to NOT grocery shop is perfect. I would definitely leave that in the Black Book. That would be a dream come true. Is there a rule about doing the laundry?

    ~Jana

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you have to give up fabric-covered couches and get leather? We've got a nice set in black leather that are actually too big for our new living room...

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Jeff: Neutrophils make up the majority of the white blood cells count. 1100 of the 1400, in this case.

    @ JBG: I'll ask if it's available in electronic form. I suspect separate individuals created their separate pieces which were then collated. Perhaps the pieces were assembled into a single document first.

    @ Jana: It does say that my caregiver needs to do the laundry, but this is the same misleading section that says my caregiver has to cook and shop for me. What they mean is that the caregiver has to able to do such things at a moment's notice if I am not up to it. Cleaning that kicks up dust (such as vacuuming) is out, but I think laundry might be allowed.

    @ Nely: They sound gorgeous. We'll sail right over and pick them up.

    ReplyDelete