Wednesday, March 2, 2011

That Which Does Not Kill Us (or, The Name of the Parrot)

I am not an absolute believer in Nietzche's Nietzsche's statement -- That which does not kill us makes us stronger -- but I believe it is true far more often than not. (Come to think of it, I'm almost certain it's not in my nature to be an absolute believer in anything.)

Whether it was a "killer" workout or a mental depression, I have come out the other side better equipped to handle races, or life, than I was before.

Therefore, by one vote over all the other nominees, with only one vote cast, the winner is...

Leuk
(pronounced Luke)

Why name my companion after the monster who is the "you" in my internal marching chant, "I Will Beat You"?

This disease has been hard on me, my family, and my friends. There are more hard days to come, most likely. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Not even Dick Cheney.

But the leukemia has also brought many gifts, and, as wonderful as they have been, I'm not talking about the tangible gifts like cards, chocolate, visits, hats, calls, money, chocolate, baked goods, hats, Kindle, chocolate, hats, fruit, books... I mean the intangible, lasting gifts of learning more about other people (all good) and about myself (some good; some not, but valuable nonetheless).

It would be great if we could receive such gifts without going through a crisis, but I don't think it works that way. We may need to be rubbed raw, beaten down, and opened up in order to be receptive.

So, three cheers for Leuk, cruel sneaky bastard who tried to kill me, but who I expect will end up laying the foundation for a better, richer life.

(Note to the Fates and other mythological entities from various cultural traditions who punish hubris: I am not declaring victory. I know it's not over. There is no need to assess an excessive celebration or unsportsmanlike conduct penalty in the form of, say, a nasty infection or some severe graft-vs-host disease. I'm just saying -- as much as this sucks, there's a lot of good coming out of it.)

10 comments:

  1. Joe,
    Giving your parrot that name may cause all of us to hate him. He's the enemy, the one to be beaten. However, he HAS become your temporary companion and I'll try to be gracious the next time I vist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait a minute ... Leuk's on the dark side? This must be The Empire Strikes Back.

    But you're saying he's also a good thing. So we should always leuk on the bright side of life.

    I guess it's about finding a balance. Wasn't it Ani Difranco who said, "When I leuk down, I miss all the good stuff. When I leuk up, I trip over things"?

    But, as in most debates, we can leuk to Ann Landers for the final verdict: “Expect trouble as an inevitable part of life and when it comes, hold your head high, leuk it squarely in the eye and say, 'I will be bigger than you. You cannot defeat me.'”

    Joe, you've been channeling Ann, haven't you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe,
    I thought he seemed like a nice bird. However, now that you’ve named him it does seem appropriate. The entire time we were up there he was just sitting saying nothing (rather un-parrot like), perhaps hoping no one would notice him. Hope all goes well this weekend and “beat that bird!”

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew I didn't know how to spell it, so I looked it up and still got it wrong. Thanks, Son.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always believed that what didn't kill you could still put you in intensive care, but in Nietzsche's day I think ICU just meant better leeches.
    JNR

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is a movie, with Meg Ryan and Kevin Kline, in which Kevin Kline's character is a Frenchman named Luke - the entire movie there was a banter about how "Luke" was pronounced... I will forevermore think hear "leuk" pronounced as Kevin Kline did in the movie - with a really bad French Accent and with the "u" sounding more like "you" than "oo"...

    -Mary W-M

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jake, Mom wants me to remind you that the comma goes inside the quotation marks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting choice for the parrot's name! I appreciate your rationale for naming the parrot Leuk, but are you sure you haven't succumbed to the Stockholm Syndrome?

    ReplyDelete
  9. If it were Stockholm Syndrome, I think that would make it "Leük" (and the comma could go outside over there). On the other hand, if we start seeing posts about the benefits of a low-fiber (or taste-free) diet, it's definitely time to worry about being Stockholmed.
    JNR

    ReplyDelete