Saturday, March 26, 2011

D+22 — One-Week Anniversary of Being Home

A decent night's sleep in my wonderful bed, with my wonderful wife. Even without the vitals checks, blood draws, and medication deliveries, I still wake more often than I used to during the night. I might still be adjusting. Last night I awoke three hours after going to sleep, lay awake for about an hour, awoke again after three more hours, and then got another hour or so of sleep. I'll take it.

It is quite cold this morning for my walk. 25 degrees and windy. The only skin that's going to be exposed is around my eyes and nose, so that is where I apply sunscreen. Overkill, in March, early in the morning? Maybe. But the Black Book keeps saying you can't be too careful, so I try to be more careful than I need to be. It's working so far.

It feels like winter, but it looks and sounds like spring: a lot of crocuses, a few daffodils, and many more bulbs in leaf but not yet in flower; chickadees, finches, titmice, cardinals, robins, a woodpecker.

I'm feeling (a little) stronger every day. Yesterday, I forgot to use the mountaineering approach to the stairs and didn't pay for it when I got to the top. I feel that I'm walking faster than a few days ago. I think I might even be able to jog a little, so I give it a try. I am disappointed, but not surprised, that jogging is too tiring. I am surprised that it only took 5 steps to determine that. Lovely day for a walk, isn't it? Especially a walk accompanied by castanets, which are actually the three nibs of my Hickman Triple Lumen, hanging from my chest and clacking against each other with every other step.

The day is uneventful. (Yay!) Breakfast; meds, temp (normal), and weight (steady, but 15 pounds less than when I entered the hospital); some race site work; lunch; a nap; more site work; some basketball (watching, not playing); dinner; U.S. v Argentina (1-1!); a little work on taxes (boo!); meds and temp (normal); bed (yay!).

No comments:

Post a Comment