Thursday, December 8, 2011

All Aboard for Transplant Station

My chemo started Tuesday morning. 4:00 a.m. in the morning. Lots of bags and pre-meds and blood draws. I didn't care. No noticeable side effects. On the first day, it's Fludara and Campath.

Repeat Wednesday morning, with the addition of Busulfex. Still not seeing any side effects, including the one that would alarm me most: changes in menstrual cycle. Sleep is constantly disrupted, as is the day time, but I don't care. I had a blood test drawn in the morning to test my response to a dose of platelets which I would receive several hours later. They're going to be disappointed in the results, and I'm going to get stuck again later so they can get real results. Doesn't bother me.

I decided it was time to shave my head, since I was not fond of the retreating glacier model of hair loss:

Proof that cranial cooling is happening, and it's caused by man.



This is my "kick leukemia's butt" look.

Day 3 of chemo is today. Still feeling good. I know the chemo is the worst part of treatment for a lot of people, and I feel fortunate that that is not the case for me. Of course, I get to grapple with brain-eating fungi and emergency surgeries, so maybe I'm getting the short straw after all.

Speaking of fungi, the ENT team is still nosing around my sinuses like pigs after truffles, trying to decide whether to start digging again. A recent CT scan showed "some stuff" where ideally there wouldn't be anything, but where there often is stuff even in perfectly healthy people. It seems like still an open question for the ENT team, but I get the sense they are leaning toward watchful waiting in the absence of symptoms.

Two more days of chemo (Friday, Saturday), two days of rest (Sunday, Monday)... Transplant on Tuesday!

4 comments:

  1. If they find truffles, will you be rich?? Sounds like you are dealing with all the interruptions very well. I'm glad to hear that the chemo isn't so bad for you.
    Best wishes,
    Peter Woodbury

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now we're talkin'! My head is once again bare as a show of solidarity (and I feel so much solidarity that I keep it that way all the time). Does the ENT team appreciate the porcine reference? It would be pretty cool if your fungi really were truffles.

    JNR

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the new look. Glad to hear that the chemo is not too terrible, and how exciting about the coming-very-soon transplant! Hang in there, and I hope the staff up there is still making sure you're eating well.

    ReplyDelete