Thursday, December 29, 2011

D+16 — What Was The Plan, Again?

(Midday, Thursday)

The only things that seem certain right now are (1) that I am having two procedures today, one to put in a PICC line (a line going in just above my elbow) and one to remove my current jugular line, and (2) that the doctors are aiming to discharge me today.

I have heard "getting discharged" and "going home" used interchangeably, and given my experience the first time around, we were operating under the assumption that, in our case, they both meant returning to Champaign. Yesterday, my doctor made it clear that his definition was, leaving the hospital but staying fairly close. Since we live two-and-a-half hours away, "going home" excludes Champaign in my attending doctor's definition.

For round one, in the winter, my main doctor (not my current attending) was willing to make an exception because I was very stable and, despite all I went through, I had come through fairly strong.

Anyway, we were completely unprepared for this development, so we have been scrambling to find an acceptable place nearby. There are not many options.

On the other hand, we are more comfortable with staying near the hospital for a week or so than with going back to Champaign. I'm not as strong as I was upon discharge in the winter, and sticking close offers some comfort.

We have a reservation at a Hampton Inn 24 miles from the hospital (mostly highway).

We have a lead on a furnished apartment available for short-term least only a couple of miles from the hospital. Not sure about wi-fi, which would be essential for Jan and very useful for me.

We won't know if the Magnificent Mile condo that some friends have let Jan use in the past is available this weekend until this afternoon, but we suspect it is not.

We don't know if staying in the hospital into the weekend is an option.

(Mid-afternoon, Thursday)

The social worker has given us a lead on an apartment within two miles of the hospital. It looks fantastic. We also checked out a couple of extended stay hotels about 20 miles away.

Jan has rented a car, so that Jake and Paul can have a car, and is heading up to Chicago. Unfortunately for her, it is heavily perfumed to cover the smell of smoking. So, she is driving with the windows open, cold and nauseated.

I now have a PICC line in my left arm.

(Late afternoon, Thursday)

I get a very apologetic call from the nurse practitioner in charge of discharging. She and others who would be involved in the paperwork needed for my discharge have not been able to do what they need to do for me, due to an emergency on the floor for most of the afternoon. So the new plan is to stay one more night and have my jugular line removed tomorrow morning.

I'm OK with this development, though it's too bad that Jan had to rush up here this afternoon when it turns out she could have come up tomorrow morning.

As the nurse continues to apologize, I interrupt her. First, I understand that I am not the only patient. Second, I'm grateful the emergency wasn't me. Third, I think this actually works well for me. It allows me to have a night unconnected to the IV pole but still with nursing attention as needed. It's like a dry run for being out of the hospital.

(Early evening, Thursday)

The apartment is physically very nice, reports Jan, but it has a serious and probably disqualifying flaw. Like the car, it is redolent with what is sold as "air freshener" but which instead recreates the experience of being stuck in a broken elevator with someone who wears way too much cologne or perfume. All night. It nauseates Jan, and there is no way she can sleep there. Jan wonders if I would be able to sleep there either.

Right now, we're hoping the apartment complex has another apartment that hasn't been stink-bombed, but we suspect the air fresheners may be policy rather than an anomaly.

(Later in the evening)

The air freshener is apartment complex policy. Somebody in charge thinks it is better than the miscellaneous foreign smells (Chinese food, curry) left behind by some of the guests. We are working with one of the owners (who is out of town) and with the caretaker to see if an extended period of airing out will help. Give us curry anytime.

Jan may stay in the hospital tonight, choosing the nightly interruptions over the air freshener. And we may have to find another place to stay.

8 comments:

  1. Just catching up on your last week--sounds like some curves in the road. The Jewish mother in me is glad you are in the hospital tonight! I'm also sympathetic to food woes--how awful not to be able to enjoy food at least!--and icky smelling rooms. Hope you get up tomorrow feeling good, get it all worked out and go somewhere nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm kinda surprised the hospital doesn't have "half-way house" resources to offer, since the situation must arise routinely there. It would seem obvious that specifically-prepared digs would be pleasanter and safer than something selected on short notice from what happens to be available on the open market at a given time. It would also avoid dumping a rather large extra set of stresses on patient and family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That air freshener smell brings back bad memories of my first business trip, when I was still guided by residual 'starving' grad-student/post-doc mentality and booked myself at the Econo-Lodge despite admonishments from one of my co-workers that I should stay at one of the nicer hotels. I figured - I just need a clean, reasonably comfortable place to sleep, the EconoLodge should be fine. There were many reasons why the EconoLodge was NOT fine, but the air freshener was a big factor, and the excuse I gave for checking out (after deciding that staying at a nicer hotel was essential for my sanity, and that the client could afford to pay). A friend later told me that whenever she travels for work she never stays in a place with either the words Econo or Lodge in the name - so I really struck out on that one.

    But, it sounds like things will work out at the apartments, which look very nice. I checked them out on-line. One of their selling points is being just 4 'short' blocks from Obama's home - you'll have to do a walk-by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joe, would my mom's place in Evanston work for you guys? She is there less than half the time, and the apartment has two bedrooms. It is very convenient to public transit. I can ask my mom if you could use it. Love, Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hoping things are moving a little more smoothly for you guys today. Also hoping for a less eventful 2012 -- a healthy Joe, a graduated Jake, a senior Paul, and a relieved Jan. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joe and Jan,
    Rhys and I opened your 2011 newsletter with hopes of reading a penned note stating the dates you would be visiting MA for the holidays. It has been too long since our last visit with you, Jan, and the rest of your family. I nearly fell off my chair in reading it and now have read most of your blog posts from Jan-March and from Oct-Dec. The posts have been informative, inspiring, and humorous. I read your post on 12/27 and when there wasn't one on 12/28 I must admit I was concerned. I can't imagine the worry your family experiences daily; fear of what new infection, fungus, or virus will find your body a comfortable home without fear of eviction from your immune system.
    I admire your desire for continuous improvement of the hospital transport system and fine dining experience. I am glad that you are holding your doctors to a higher standard of communication than many patients do. Perhaps there is an app to improve the transport and the communication process. I am glad that the management is hearing you.
    What have you been reading on your Kindle? Any books you can recommend? Rhys and I will get our holiday newsletter out sometime in January with our reading list.
    Please know we are thinking of you and your family. I'll be following your blog.
    With hopes for good health in 2012. Becky Snow

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Joe and Jan,

    It's New Year's Eve and our attention to turns to both of you, your family and the year you've all endured. The year that was...

    On New Year's Eve, we traditionally enjoy a personal retrospective on the year that is at its end. In this case, 2011. It includes a photographic review of Iphoto to refresh our memories as to where we've been, what we've done, who we've been with, etc. This year we've begun our evening reviewing your 2011 posts ~ what a year it's been for the Colorusso-Seeley household!

    It must be tempting for you to say, "Good riddance to 2011!" But your "Good News, Bad News" posts and all of what Jan summarized in the Champaign Seeley "Season's Greetings" as things she has learned in 2011 only confirm that there are many blessings we can give thanks for on this eve of the new year.

    So may 2012 hold many more blessings (and white cells) for all of you, for your warmth, authenticity, and humor are blessings in the lives of all of us. On this New Year's Eve,

    Hug each other.
    R & R

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Joe,

    I an thinking about you this NYE, as I await my own Big C diagnosis confirmation (should have the biopsy labs back by Thurs or Fri next week). Your spirit, outlook, and humor have been a source of inspiration even before this bew turn in my own life. I hope you have a new year filled with progress, health, humor, joy, and love.

    ReplyDelete