Thursday, December 1, 2011

A Widening Path

My blood counts and I have been doing what we should this past week. No white blood cells. No fevers.  Clear lungs. No indication, either from test results or symptoms, that the fungal infection in my sinuses is active. Daily walks (about 30 minutes). Eating well.

My reward is that I have a bone marrow biopsy scheduled (originally Friday, now moved to today for staffing reasons) and a tentative chemo+transplant schedule starting next week.

Yesterday, I had a lot of doctor visits. I had been requesting a visit from the ENT folks, to confirm that the crud I still have in my nose is an expected part of the recovery. I got one visit, got my confirmation after a little viewing with a pen light, and thanked the doctor for reassuring me. I told here that was all I needed — just a figurative (but informed) pat on the hand telling me I'm doing fine. Later in the afternoon, a larger ENT team showed up, somehow under the impression that I was increasingly concerned about my sinuses. For them to really tell me all is well, they would need to run a scope up my sinuses. This is mildly uncomfortable, but the bigger problem is that it carries risks. With my blood counts as low as they are, sticking anything into my sinuses could, despite sterilization precautions, introduce some infectious agent that I can't fight, or could restart the bleeding that finally stopped after three weeks. In the absence of clinical evidence of an infection, it's not worth the risk. Which is fine with me.

I also had a couple of visits from the the Infectious Disease team. The first informed me that they were running some tests on the vulnerability of my particular fungal antagonist to one of the antifungal meds I was receiving. The second informed me that they had just learned that that particular antifungal appeared to be quite ineffective, so they were switching me to something else. Yikes! I'm glad they did the legwork and figured this out before anything bad happened, but it's still unnerving.

12 comments:

  1. having some quiche this morning in your honor Joe! good run with Jan this morning. Hope the biopsy results are perfect. have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought they were talking about giving you a broader spectrum anti-fungal several weeks ago, before your nasal surgery??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there, Joe!
    Thinking of you!
    Glad to hear the exercise continues!
    Much love,
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear things are progressing in the right direction. Still thinking of you and sending good thoughts your way. I really look forward to the updates! Good luck with the biopsy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I learned a little more about the change in antifungal medication. It's not that my fungus (alternaria) is generally resistant to what I was taking. On the contrary, it usually is quite vulnerable. The problem is that I have been taking that antifungal for nearly a year, providing an opportunity for the fungus to develop resistance. Evolution has its drawbacks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very glad that the path is widening again. Hope the biopsy went (or goes) well and that they/you can proceed with the chemo + transplant next week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wider is better. Thank evolution for your highly evolved sense of humor - it's clearly helping you fight.

    Thinking of you a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stay strong - you and Jan have a lot of community support. Glad you're eating well. Hoping for the best from the biopsy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Evolution may have its drawbacks, but as the saying goes, if evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve...
    Hope you tolerate the new antifungal well, and here's to a continued "holiday" from having large objects shoved up your nose.

    JNR

    ReplyDelete
  10. Joe; Hello, just listened to your blog video about the colonsotomy! GREAT!!! I am Ted Washburne, Shelley's Brother in Washington(the state not DC). I loved your stuff and would like to get more as it comes out~~~ I had a Glioblastoma Multiforme Brain tumor in 2006. they told me I had only 3-6 months to live! Blah and phooey!!! I am still here and we have a nice positive attitude website at www. livingwithbraincancer.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Joe,

    R & R playing catch-up with your last few entries:
    1. Sounds like the ice worked in preventing blisters on your hands and feet, right? When you work your way back to long runs, you'll LOVE post workout ice baths to reduce the swelling. Now that's something to look forward to!
    2. As a health care provider, I laughed aloud during the Andy Borowitz video. Like you, he possesses great humor and magnanimity in the face of adversity. They serve him well as does his attitude of gratitude. Thank you for sharing.
    3. How would one from the Left Coast join the C-U circle of sharing meals with Jan and Paul so you could get some of your favorite leftovers? Do you have a favorite food-to-go place? We'd love to participate even if from a distance.
    4. Know that the Left Coast is actively represented in your prayer circle and we're praying for the biopsy results you want so you can move forward with chemo and/or transplant and finish 2011 STRONG!!.
    5. Know also that we think about you all the time and you continue to be a source of inspiration and humor for us.

    God bless.
    Rhonda & Rich

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great news Joe, and glad you are feeling up to skipping, that's close to running, right? And especially to skipping over that particular issue,
    Love and best wishes,
    Peter Woodbury

    ReplyDelete