Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Transplant Day

Tuesday was transplant day. A little after 10 a.m., I got four bags of my sister's stem cells.

The rest of the day I was very tired. Then I started running a fever, which continued all night.  The nursing assistant kept taking my temperature, and the temperature kept rising: 38.5, 39.3, 39.7, 39.9.  Normal is 37.0 (98.6); 38.0 is when they start calling it a fever. 38.5? If I weren't feverish, I could do the conversion. Instead, I page the nursing station and ask for the conversion so that I could text Jan a number she could understand. (39.9 = 103.8)

Wednesday... still feverish, with occasional breaks.

More later...

4 comments:

  1. Nothing fun about high fevers. It occurs to me that between this and your pre-Thanksgiving "mani-pedi," you have experienced fire and ice in a way most people don't have to. Maybe looking forward to more "average" experiences?

    Best wishes for cooler heads prevailing.

    JNR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joe,
    Thanks for posting and hope you feel better tomorrow .Glad to hear the fever is breaking at times.
    Love the pictures of your Chicago friends that spruced up your yard and decorated for the holidays. What wonderful friends and colleagues...
    Wishing you a better day tomorrow.
    Love Ginger, Ralph, Angela, Alli

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joe, my name is Felicia. I am almost 6 years post transplant and have been directed to your blog by my friend Stephanie Murphy (more like a sister). I just wanted you to know that somewhere amongst my transplant "memoirs" lies a handwritten journal and I pray I find it because your Transplant Day entry brings me to tears and as I sit here upset about my day at work, I am now getting the urge to hit my knees and praise God for the life he has given me and for putting me in this office chair, in this body, with this health and the ability to work. I remember just praying to be able to go to work everyday and until this very moment, I had almost forgotten. Thank you Joe. I will be following you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How can a super-cool guy like you have a fever? Hang in there, Joe! I'm visualizing 98.6 (or should I say 37.0) on your thermometer. Rest and let those stem cells do their thing...

    ReplyDelete