Tuesday, December 27, 2011

D+14 — Trying to Eat

First, the WBC:

0.1 D+8
0.2 D+9
0.6 D+10
0.8 D+11
1.7 D+12
2.6 D+13
3.1 D+14

The WBC is no longer doubling, but it's still growing fast enough that the doctor wants to send me home on Thursday (D+16). Thursday allows me to come back Friday and report right away on how things are going at home. If I were to go home Friday, I wouldn't be able to come back until Tuesday because of the weekend and the holiday, and that's too long a gap for the first return appointment.

In order for me to go home with the fewest complications, I should be creating my own platelets consistently, and I should be taking medications only by mouth. Otherwise, I would have to go home with an IV pole, or stay in the hospital over the weekend.

One of the medicines the Infectious Disease team wants me to take performs best when taken with a fatty meal. Normally, this would not be a problem, but my current appetite makes it hard to eat anything and especially rebels at fatty foods. This evening, just the smell of a fried fish sandwich and fries caused me to retch up some juice I had managed to get down a couple of hours earlier.

Fortunately, my nurse suggested I give Ensure another try. I had found it repulsive weeks ago, but this time I was able to drink an entire bottle. So, if I can't eat regular food, I can at least drink Ensure. I sure hope my taste recovers soon.

= = =

P.S. I added a music video from my family to the D+12 post.

5 comments:

  1. So glad you are able to drink the Ensure this time, a "sure' step in the right direction! Hoping all continues to improve each day.

    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fat doesn't have to be fried fat. Maybe try a couple bites of avocado?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! That family video/song was great.

    Sorry about your lack of appetite, and the nausea. I'm glad the Ensure can work for now; hope you smell something delicious very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you don't need it, Ensure is nasty, but when you do, it can be a life saver, literally.

    Would some fatty pork belly from Black Dog smell more appetizing than fried fish? Maybe the smoky smell would be too strong?

    You'll figure out something!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great news! Down that Ensure! Grow those platelets! Here's to 2012 - starting with a great trip home, a quick visit back to the doctor and a huge yield of healthy blood cells all over the place.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete