Thursday, December 15, 2011

D+2 — Fever Gone

No fever at all today. It might be the round-the-clock Tylenol, or it might be, if I do have an infection, that one of the powerful antifungal/viral/bacterial medications I am on is keeping that infection in check.

The cause of the sustained high fever remains a mystery. (Solving the mystery is now a matter of curiosity rather than urgency.) Here are the suspects:

  • An infection stirred up by the sinus surgery the day before my transplant (I did have a low fever before the transplant)
  • Reaction to the transplant
  • Some other infection
Although I am on Tylenol now, that was not an option during the fever. The key pre-transplant chemo drug, busulfan, is hard on the liver, and Tylenol accentuates the effect.

Instead of Tylenol, I got a special pad for my bed. It's a thin plastic pad with a honeycomb of channels that fill with water, connected to a machine that keeps the water at whatever temperature you want. Even though it did not decrease my temperature, at least for the first day, it did increase my comfort. Or maybe it kept my fever from getting even higher.

I'm now rid of the fever and the pad. My complaint of the day is a strong metallic taste in my mouth. It makes everything taste terrible. I hear it's a common post-chemo experience. 

It will pass.

And then something else will be my complaint of the day.

And as long as I have a complaint of the day, it means I have another day. Under the current circumstances, that's a victory.

10 comments:

  1. Joe I can't wait to read about the next complaint! Here's to one small victory at a time. My thoughts are with you, Jan and the boys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read complaints about your being fever-free, leukemia-free, bored and waiting to go home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah Joe, keep those complaints coming. Hope the metallic taste is soon gone so you can enjoy some food (or complain about it!).
    Peace,
    Peter W.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely looking forward to more complaints! Or as one of my good friends says - it's not complaining, it's just stating the facts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I want that pad on my bed at home, set to a nice, warm temp all winter.

    So happy to hear the fever is gone now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To paraphrase Felicia, it's good to live to complain another day! May you have no complaint worse than a temporary metallic taste in your mouth . . . for a while at least. Then after you and Mara kick leukemia's butt, be reminded once in a while that you're back to normal, kvetching about the routine like the rest of us. That will be a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just want you to know that kvetching and venting is fine and therapeutic! Hang in there - we are all rooting for you!

    Deborah & Stephen

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Much better to hear complaints about tastes than about choosing between a fungal infection and leukemia. Good day to have bad food.

    JNR

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Joe!
    Good to hear your complaints. I complained once in, oh, about 1963. I think my soup was cold.
    Much love,
    Neil

    ReplyDelete