Thursday, January 20, 2011

Exciting New Weight Loss Miracle They Don't Want You To Know About!

I'm in a very good mood today, for no particular reason. Sunlight (finally) might be part of the reason. I had a (relatively) good night of sleep, which always helps. Yesterday's (mildly) sore throat has faded, which had me worried that I might be coming down with an infection.

This morning, I took another lengthy walk through the maze of corridors -- still haven't found the cheese! I've become a regular sight in some of the far reaches of the sixth floor, and a few of the researchers and doctors and other staff greet me with some variation of "doing laps again, I see." One person offered a caution -- stay out of a particular dead-end corridor, because they do animal research there, and who knows what diseases might be in the air. Helpful tip!

One of the advantages of being in Chicago (as opposed to, say, St. Louis) is that I have relatives here. I have already been visited by three cousins, on two separate evenings. Sam had the misfortune of being here while a second-year medical student practiced his history-taking technique, so Sam got to hear more than he wanted to about bowel movements, urination, and so, so much more. I'm hoping I can provide better entertainment to future cousin visits.

My medical question of the day is, why am I losing weight? Unfortunately, I missed my chance to ask the attending physician, because I was out walking when he and his posse stopped by. It is common to lose weight during or shortly after chemo, for various reasons: nausea, loss of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea. However, I have none of those symptoms. I have a couple of theories: At my in-hospital high weight, I was receiving the maximum amount of IV fluid, and I was constipated. (Feel free to make predictable "full of shit" jokes in the comments.) I figure that was good for a few pounds. When I asked the head nurse, she didn't sign on to my theories but gave two more possible explanations.

First, I'm probably eating less than I think, and less than I normally do. I don't have ready access to snacks, or to seconds, since I have to order everything and it takes about 45 minutes for it to arrive. So, there's no immediate second helping of jambalaya (I wish) or spur-of-the-moment cookie binge. This delay seems like it could be (or already is) part of a successful weight loss strategy.

Second, chemo can rev up the metabolism. (At least, I think that's what she said.) So, combined with not eating as much as usual, I could be running a calorie deficit. Please -- Don't try this at home!

4 comments:

  1. Joe, reading all of your blog postings at once really made my day! Could you post every day at 7am so that I can get each day started off right!!? Janelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another weight loss theory: hospital food!
    Or, perhaps you're walking off the weight.
    Or, perhaps Ivy is siphoning off your calories. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just read a bunch of posts to Ben who enjoyed them immensely. He wants you to know that he especially loved the post about Ivy. And your comment above provide an opportunity to discuss the meaning of "full of shit" ... and I fear Karl and I may well be in for a long season of "You're full of poop!" declarations.

    Nothing like an 8-year-old boy and potty talk. Do you guys ever out-grow it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good news for Ben (and 8-year-old boys of all ages): There is more potty talk to come.

    ReplyDelete