Tuesday, January 18, 2011

So Far, So Good

I'm in my fifth day of chemotherapy. I'm not feeling any ill effects, but it is having the desired effect on my blood counts (pushing them down). The only time I have felt nauseous was during the Patriots-Jets game, but that passed.

As I mentioned, the blood counts are dropping as they should. Platelets are extremely low, leading to very easy bruising and bleeding. While out walking a few days ago, I kicked the feet of Ivy, my pole dancer partner, once with each foot. I now star in my own production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor DreamToes.

My neutrophil count is also extremely low. Neutrophils are one of the types of white blood cells, so I am extremely vulnerable to infection. Whenever I leave my room, I need to wear a mask. Eventually, I'll move to a wing where the rooms have two sets of doors and positive air pressure, so that potentially contaminated air from the corridor doesn't get in.

5 comments:

  1. Praying for your healing, Joe! I hope the nausea is kept at bay, and that your taste for sweets come back soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eh, I'm sure you've had black and purple toes plenty of times in your life anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If Ivy's feet are so hard, perhaps she should consider exfoliating?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Top ten things about trying to kill off many of your blood cells:
    10: Neither white nor red are the new black.
    9: Last I heard, actually, black was the new black, but I digress.
    8: Good way to lose weight.
    7: Chicago is lovely this time of year.
    6: Hospital food is, um, see #8.
    5: Opportunity to offer assistance to transporters.
    4: Maybe even small-talk with transporters?
    3: Beef up the subscribers to your blog.
    2: Great reason for the family to visit.
    1: You haven't even finished chemo and you're already in the game longer than the Pats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I wouldn't have minded the Jets winning if they could just keep their damn mouth shut. Here's to hoping the Steelers put them out of our misery.

    ReplyDelete