Thursday, January 20, 2011

New Blood

I am, right now, receiving my first transfusion. Platelets, the blood cells that stop the bleeding. When they're low, you bruise easily and bleed more. Mine are at 10 (thousand), and we don't want them to get any lower.

Before I receive them, I need to hear about the risks from a doctor: fevers, chills, rigors (shakes); 1 in 2 million chance of HIV; 1 in 1.6 million chance of Hepatitis C; 1 in 150,000 chance of Hepatitis B. I'm signing anyway.

The platelets come in a clear plastic IV bag. It looks like the result of blending 2 T butterscotch pudding with 2 cups water. Takes about 10 minutes, and I'm good to go.

Off to run! No pudding for dessert tonight.

4 comments:

  1. Joe, you are an inspiration! I'll stop complaining about my plantar fasciitis and hit the roads (or treadmill).
    Hope you enjoyed the treadmill!
    How did Ivy respond to the exercise?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe it'll add back some of that missing weight! Don't forget the ever-present risks of meteorite impact, spontaneous combustion (I wonder if you're now at greater or lesser risk), or revenge of the staplers (see http://www.satirewire.com/news/0111/threats.shtml for additional hazards).

    So did you remember the extra gown when you were out walking today?

    JNR

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe, I am loving your posts and humor. Please keep it up... with Ivy... and Jan ;-)

    Best and warm well wishes,

    Patrice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Risk assessors/regulators consider those risks "de minimus", "negligible" or "acceptable", even without any flip side benefits (at least for environmental risks, and for potentially carcinogenic food additives). On the other hand, risk assessors/regulators deal with theoretical risks, estimated using 'worst-case' assumptions, rather than actual risks. But, I think there was one risk they neglected to inform you of: 1 in 4 chance of severe aversion reaction to butterscotch pudding. Regardless, I'm glad you signed!

    ReplyDelete