Thursday, January 13, 2011

Good News, Bad News

The good news is, there is a treadmill.
The bad news is, I don't get to run outside for a month.

The good news is, my room has windows all along one wall.
The bad news is, my view is the side of the next building.

The good news is, this isn't my eventual room.
The bad news is, my next room has a similar view.

The good news is, I can wear pajamas all day.
The bad news is, I could get used to that.

The good news is, next year's end-of-year letter won't sound like a rerun of the last few.
The bad news is, saying "end-of-year" feels like tempting fate.

The good news is, plenty of time to read or draw.
The bad news is, plenty of time to worry.

The good news is, I have great support from family, friends, and work.
The bad news is, I can't think of any clever downside to go on this line.

The good news is, I feel perfectly healthy.
The bad news is, the bone marrow biopsy says I'm not.

The good news is, I'm in one of the best facilities in the world for treating AML.
The bad news is, I'm being treated for AML.

The good news is, there is a treadmill.

12 comments:

  1. Am sorry to hear of your diagnosis and confinement. Will you be keeping us up-to-date on this blog? I haven't seen where you "facebook" much. Let us know what you're reading and please post your drawings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent Post. We will be thinking about you, so please keep everyone posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The good news is, you still get to make your own decisions.
    The bad news is, you didn't get to decide this.
    I'd say something inane, like "Hang in there," but what else are you going to do? I'll hang ing with you.
    JNR

    ReplyDelete
  4. This good news/bad news take works surprisingly well. Thank you for doing this blog.

    Lots of love,
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  5. The good news is, you're a poet!

    Love,
    jake and ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  6. The good news is - now I have a really good excuse to visit Chicago (I've been wanting to see WWDTM live for quite a while now)
    The bad news is - the excuse

    love you!
    ~mara

    ReplyDelete
  7. The good news is you've let people know so they can hold you in the LIght wherever they are!


    - Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  8. The good news is I get to see my long-distance cousins that I don't get to see nearly enough of. The bad news is why they're in town in the first place. Mom, Dad, Paula and I are sending our best wishes your way. And seriously, if you need anything, please don't hesitate to ask. It's not that far from Des Plaines to UofC. (and send our best to Jan and the boys)
    -Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Add me, Elliott, and my boys to Mindy's post. Sending prayers and good thoughts to you, Jan and your boys!

    The good news is I love your writing style.
    The bad news is what you're writing about.

    -Jana

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm holding you in the Light, Joe.
    Sending well wishes your way.

    Joan N. from Urbana

    ReplyDelete
  11. Joe. We're sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Glad to know your sister is a good match.

    The good news is that I saw one of my patients today with AML and he is in remission and doing great.

    Our thoughts are with you.

    Tom and Ellen, Spring Green

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Joe,
    Thinking of you and Jan. Hoping you get on the treadmill soon.
    You're in my thoughts. Please call me or email if you want to visit.
    217-493-4607 nikonneil@mac.com
    Neil

    ReplyDelete