Friday, January 21, 2011

Ivy and I are Done

Yesterday, at 9 pm, we officially broke up.

I will still hook up from time to time, for transfusions and possibly some medications, but for the most part I am a free man.

I had gotten fairly good at walking with the pole through the corridors and through doors, even developing a move I call the Seeley Spin to get over this one bit of carpet edging. Somehow, I never mastered the trip to the toilet and back to bed. I would get up, drag the pole five steps into the bathroom while avoiding the pole's power cord on the floor, do whatever needed doing, maneuver back to bed, and find that I had wrapped my IV line once (and occasionally twice) around the pole. Then, I would have to walk once (and occasionally twice) around the pole before I could get back into bed.

I felt like a feeble-minded dog who can't go five steps without wrapping his leash around his master.

10 comments:

  1. Glad to hear of the break up. It was never meant to last anyway. Ivy can be such a beast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait until Ivy is totally out of your system. I told you she gets around!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hoping for a reconciliation with the cad this weekend. Maybe I'll take him back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joe, I didn't hear the news until this morning. I'm so sorry about your diagnosis and wish you all the best. When I had cancer, I was amazed at the outpouring of support I got from such a wide variety of sources. Even people I'd never met face to face, like a yahoo group I belong to. All these people's wishes and prayers felt like a safety net keeping me from falling into fear. Rely on the net, Joe.

    And why am I not surprised you're a wonderful writer?!

    Julia Glahn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m sure you are enjoying that new found freedom now that you've shaken that pole!:-)I actually learned of your diagnosis this morning. I love your positive outlook and thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts...... an education with a twist of humor. You are in my prayers for a super speedy recovery! I look forward to following your future posts and seeing you down those HK hallways soon!

    Patty Paris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Joe,

    I just heard about you and Ivy. Glad to see you broke up - sorry to hear you ever had to be connected.

    Thinking of you.

    Amy :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank goodness and Halellujah! I'm so glad Ivy is out of your life. Though I'm sure there were some upsides to the relationship, I didn't like the way she was cramping your lifestyle, "stepping" on your toes, and keeping you on such a short leash!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jan is the most awesome woman in the world. I'm so glad to hear she's the only one in the game again . . . . By the way, could we clone little Jans and provide them as mates for all of our sons?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree on the awesome. However, I think there may be a risk to the stability of the universe in having too many simultaneous Jans.

    ReplyDelete