Saturday, February 19, 2011

But, Wait. There's More!

Host: Well, Joe, let's review what you have won so far: a stay (of indeterminate length) at the Bernard Mitchell Resort, hot and sweaty nights (but not the good kind), interrupted sleep, chemotherapy, mouth sores, rashes, hair loss, weight loss, gagging, 4 a.m. bloodlettings, guided tours (of indeterminate length) of the medical center, and unlimited meals from a very limited menu.

But now you have also won... 

....a New MONIA!!

[Audience applauds madly.]

Joe (to himself): This is the worst game show concept ever.

= = =

Tuesday afternoon...

I had sinus and chest CT scans mid-afternoon, trying to identify an explanation for my persistent fever. Later in the afternoon, one of my doctors comes in, without her usual smile. "I'm sorry. You have pneumonia."

Pneumonia is a terrifying prospect for a patient with a compromised immune system. It can get out of control quickly, and it can kill you. Every day, multiple times a day, doctors and nurses check my breathing with their stethoscopes. It's always clear. Patients are encouraged to breathe deeply and to cough, both ways of making your lungs a less hospitable place for pneumonia.

I was surprised. I have had pneumonia, and it knocked me out. Trouble breathing, incredible muscle aches. I had none of those symptoms. I think, because my immune system is currently ineffective, I can't mount the inflammatory response that produces the typical symptoms.

The plan is to adjust medications and monitor. The good news is I'm already receiving the kinds of medications I would be put on, so in effect we have already been treating it. If it's viral, we just have to wait it out.

I'm finally feeling well enough to walk. After dinner, I put on my smock, gloves, and mask. I'm a little unsteady standing up, and I feel weak.

When I begin the walk, I am moving slowly. I am lightheaded. I feel like a sick person. And a scared person. And I'm angry at this stream of illnesses and conditions. Walking is my way to fight back. As I'm strolling, then walking, then striding up and down the hall, I have this refrain going through my mind, one word per step:

I will
beat you
I will
beat you
I will
beat you
I will
beat you
I will
beat you
...

The longer I walk, the stronger I feel. By the end of the walk, I feel practically normal. I have had runs that left me feeling good, but I have never had one that took me from feeling sick to feeling healthy.

3 comments:

  1. Joe, your lungs are really, really strong from all your years of running. I am sure that provides you with a huge advantage compared to more typical patients.
    On an unrelated matter, Jonathan has infiltrated the conservative club at East Chapel Hill High. The club has hang posters around campus espousing their views, and Jonathan thought it would be interesting to learn what leads the club members toward their particular viewpoints. So on Tuesday he shed his usual skinny jeans and ragged t-shirt for pleated khaki shorts, a button-down shirt, and argyle sweater and attended the club's lunch-time meeting. Topic of conversation: what color t-shirts the club should order!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe ~ hang in there. Your good health (in relative terms) going into this and your strong attitude going through this are huge assets. We love you, miss you, think about you, talk about you every day.

    Hugs all around ~ Karl, Kate, Ben & Garrett

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will
    beat it
    you will
    beat it
    you will
    beat it
    you will
    beat it
    you will
    beat it
    you will
    beat it

    Hey there! Keep it up! I don't want to have to call the doctor in there and get you a check up from the neck up for hardening of the attitudes!

    You're doing great! Keep doing it! Much love!!!!!

    ReplyDelete