Tuesday, February 15, 2011

It Never Always Gets Worse

My friend Jim Yost told me about a mantra that ultrarunners tell themselves. Ultrarunners do crazy things like run 100 miles though mountains and deserts, or run for six days straight. As you might imagine, these runners go through some very rough, dark patches. The mantra Jim told me was, "It never always gets worse." So, even if it just keeps getting harder and more painful through miles 60, 70, 80, eventually you reach a point where it no longer gets worse, and maybe it even gets a little better.

That mantra has been working for me lately. I may not feel good on Thursday, and Friday might be worse than Thursday, and so on, and so on. But I know that someday will be better than the day before. Like today! Appetite is better, eyes are ugly but functional, post-nasal flow is down to a post-nasal drip, and I had my first non-feverish reading in days.

My reward for feeling better is another bone marrow biopsy and a batch of CT and x-ray scans, checking out my sinuses, teeth, and lungs. In part, the scans are to look for a fever explanation, but they also provide baseline measures for evaluating my post-transplant. The biopsy will help them decide whether to recommend going straight to transplant or to go with the more typical schedule of leaving the hospital for a week or two before getting the transplant.

The biopsy already happened. It was pretty much like last time, but it took a lot longer. The doctor got a great workout. I got another pain in the butt. (Hip, really, but that doesn't sound as good.) I'm about to be turned over to Transport to get some CT scans. If you don't hear from me in a day, tell them to search the basement for a guy wearing a pirate cap.

7 comments:

  1. Joe,
    I'm so happy for you that you are feeling better. Now I'll share some fun news. I've been working with Kate Seeley to set up a website so all your followers in the CU and Chicago areas can sign up to help out if so inclined. It is a great way for all of us to show how much we love and support all the Seeleys, and prevents Jan and Paul from getting tuna casserole 4 nights in a row! Followers who are interested are welcome to register at https://www.lotsahelpinghands.com/c/637114/login/?logout&language=en
    That Jim (Yost) has a unique, yet admirable perspective:). You are certainly caught up in an endurance event - keep up the good work!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mean that someone actually listens to me while I'm running?!?:) Glad that our conversation all those years ago is helping you through this current rough patch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But other than all this, how's it going?
    If it helps, consider the following:
    - Try rotating hats daily. You do not need to rotate your head to accomplish this.
    - Pitchers and catchers have already reported, and that exhibition games start in less than two weeks.
    - With luck it'll be better in time for your birthday, or at least your eyes will sport suitably festive colors for the occasion.
    - Stan Musial is receiving the Medal of Freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joe (and Jim Yost), thank you for introducing me to this extremely useful new mantra! I am going to add it to my list of mantras, which also includes "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good."
    I have a funny story for you. Today, Jonathan decided to infiltrate the conservative club at East Chapel Hill High. The club meets on Tuesdays at lunch. Jonathan usually wears skinny jeans and a rock band t-shirt. This morning he arrived at breakfast clad in khaki shorts, a button-down shirt, and an argyle sweater. (Yes, in NC, the weather is warm enough for a teenage boy, though not his mother, to wear shorts!) I had told him his usual attire would reveal his true identity, and he might not be allowed into the club. So he attended the club meeting, wanting to learn what makes the members tick (mainly concerned about some of their lack of tolerance for certain groups in society). The entire meeting focused on plans to make t-shirts for the club members!
    I'll talk to Jan about a time to visit you in the Windy City. It's already getting too warm here in NC, after all, and it's time to seek cooler climes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First, since I know some of you worry, I can report that I was returned to my room in a timely fashion. I now get priority boarding on the Transport Express, and all I had to do to earn it was give up my immune system. The trip was not without a Transport-related incident, but that will have to wait.

    Jim, I remember that mantra because it's one of the first things you told me on a run, before I learned to tune you out like everybody else does. (Not really, but the dig was too easy to resist in my weakened state. I miss our runs together.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. And that LotsaHelpingHands web site is wonderful. Thank you so much for that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Howdy Joe!
    I'm glad you're feeling better and your appetite is back and your eyes work and you only have post-nasal drip, and, you can READ! That's wonderful!
    I think of you daily and send you much love.

    ReplyDelete