Wednesday, February 23, 2011

A Happy Birthday

[This post is going to be amended multiple times as I remember (or Jan reminds me of) gifts and kindnesses that I will surely forget to mention the first time through. It was an overwhelming (in a good way) and humbling outpouring of love and care.]

The party started on Sunday, when Jan and Paul were visiting. They brought up a few items, some of which we opened then and some which we saved so I would have something to open on my birthday.

On Monday, Paul's best friend Andy came up with his mom Janelle. He had the day off from school, and he chose to use it supporting his friend and friend's family. (Thanks, Andy!)



Tuesday, the day before my birthday, I got a visit from Shannon, a nurse in the neonatal unit here and the daughter of a colleague at HK. A card from the Zoll family, a card and gift card from the Finance department, and some excellent mint chocolates, which were delicious and are now gone.

Which brings me to today. Midnight vitals, "Happy Birthday, Mr. Seeley."

7 a.m., birthday greetings from Paul.

8 a.m., regular morning call from Jan.
"What would be the best birthday present?"
Hmmm. To magically not be sick would be great, but that's not in the cards.
"To not have anyone come at me with sharp objects?"
"OK. What else?"
"A surprise visitor?"
"Like who?"
"You." (You don't get to the twenty-fifth year of marriage without knowing the answer to that question.)
And in she walks, talking to me on the phone! Surprise!

Well, not entirely. She had guaranteed that the dirty running clothes she was taking away on Monday would be back by Wednesday, and we already knew from a previous shipment that UPS was not up to fulfilling that guarantee, so I knew someone was coming. And since I know her reasonably well, I figured Jan was a likely candidate, but I wasn't certain. Lucky me, I got my wish.

Jan came loaded with gifts from family and friends.

A crown for King Joseph (in his palatial new digs), and a regifted balloon.

A propellor beanie to wear while doing web site work.

A way to have a bad hair day, even if I have no hair.

A pirate do-rag. I need to work on my pirate face.


A hand-knitted cap. So soft. I think it might be alpaca!
One of many Christie Clinic Illinois Marathon caps.
A running cap for when it's sunny.

A running cap for when it's cold.
A Patriots cap. From Packers fans.
Running pants, candy, and a card.

A great book and a Non Sequitor joke calendar, courtesy of
volunteer extraordinaire Adrian.
A Kindle, plus Kindle gift card.
Perfect for treadmill time!
Three of my very favorite women: Char (aka Mom), Jan, Marrow Mara

And there was lunch, courtesy of the Tech Group. The colors and lighting make the food look bland, but this Reuben sandwich, potato salad, cole slaw, and pickle was delicious and was just what the doctor ordered, so to speak.
And cakes! One brought by mom and Mara, one brought by Food Service.
Hmmm. White cake from Food Service,
or cheesecake from The Cheesecake Factory?
I had a piece of cheesecake, my guests shared some pieces and took some when they left, I saved a piece for tomorrow, and nearly half of the cheesecake went to the nurses' station. Can't hurt!

The two sweetest treats of the day.
Not pictured: Many cards and gift cards. Amazing homemade whole grain fig bars. A DVD of birthday greetings from HK colleagues. An oil change and tank of gas and new back wiper blade from Pro-Tech Motors.

All in all, a really, really great birthday. Thank you to all.

Note: When I have guests, I sit in the bed so they can use the chairs. And I always wear the hospital gown, because I can get a clean one whenever I want. But the combination makes me look more sickly than I feel.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Cousin!
    to a man who wears many hats!

    Love,
    Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, Joe. You look great today, especially in all your hat glory. I can't decide which one I like best, but it might be the pirate do-rag. Arghhhh!

    I hope you had as good a birthday as one can have while confined to the hospital. See you again soon.

    love,
    Mindy

    ReplyDelete