Friday, February 25, 2011

You Can't Unsalt Food

I know I don't know all the constraints the hospital food service operates under, and I know it can't cater to me. But I think there are a few simple changes that would be easy to implement, would raise the nutritional quality of the menu, and would be popular with enough patients to justify their addition.

Last week, I got a visit from Food Service -- I think she was a manager. I don't know if it's because I have been asking twice daily for the Chipotle Black Bean Burrito (hidden on the gluten-free menu, for some reason), or if I was the target of a random sampling. (They do not have the burrito in stock, and I have promised to ask for it and make them check for it every day until it's in.)

I wanted to start with what was good about the menu -- a decent variety of breakfast choices, a good selection of lean (meat and dairy) protein choices, a range of plain vegetables that are not overcooked, some fresh fruit. But the manager wanted to hear what I was unhappy about, so I told her what I would like to see.

1. Less salt. One of the reasons I have a hard time getting through meals is that they are too salty for my taste. I know many Americans are too fond of salt, so this high-salt diet may cater to the majority of patients. However, it is easy for patients to add salt to a dish if it isn't salty enough for them, but I can't unsalt a dish.

2. More whole grain fiber. The menu currently has Cheerios, Frosted Mini Wheats, granola, bran flakes, wheat bagel, whole wheat bread, and an apple bran muffin. These aren't bad options, but they are focused on breakfast, and some are only nominal sources of fiber. Consider adding: brown rice, multigrain wraps, multigrain chips.

3. More legumes. The menu currently has red beans and rice, and chili. (Both are  too salty, of course.) Consider adding: baked beans, refried beans, bean burrito, black bean soup, lentil soup.

There is (theoretically) a bean burrito, but it's on the gluten-free menu that many patients (and some call-takers) don't realize is open to patients on a regular diet. Also, it has been out of stock since I started ordering it more than a week ago. This past Monday, I received a call back from a call-taker telling me the burritos would be in by Tuesday or Wednesday. As of Thursday night, still no burritos.

The manager also told me that there are baked beans on the menu. This is not true, if your definition of "on the menu" is "visible to a person looking at the menu." However, through some back-and-forth with one of the call-takers, I have determined that you can order "pork and beans," and you will receive what most of us would consider baked beans. So it's on the menu in the sense that you can order it if you know what to call it. It's a small side dish, so I have learned I should order two. There is also another hidden item, which the call-taker described as refried beans but turned out to be un-refried pinto beans in a tomato sauce. With a little ketchup and brown sugar, I made something close to baked beans. (There will be a later post containing the recipes I have come up with, using only items that I can order.)

Overall, my visitor from Food Service seemed interested in my feedback and open to suggestions. She took notes.

With the exception of the salt, I have been able to address my complaints by supplementing the Food Service offerings with outside food -- bean and lentil soups, whole grain crackers, almond butter, Sun Chips, dried fruit, whole-grain cereals, homemade whole wheat fig bars (incredibly good). However, a patient should not have to go outside the hospital offerings to eat a healthy diet, so I'm hoping Food Service will make a few adjustments, someday.

Bon Appetit!

3 comments:

  1. Who is making these whole wheat fig bars? I either need to hit that person up or get the recipe... they sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe,
    This is great. I'm sure you are establishing quite a reputation at UofC. And the thing is, your arguments are so rational they are left defenseless. They are all probably praying for your quick recovery too!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe, perhaps the salt is a preventive strategy--preserves food by preventing bacterial growth. Maybe they don't have enough refrigerators in the hospital.

    ReplyDelete