Monday, February 21, 2011

Whipsaw Days (Part 2)

[You should read Part 1 first.]

[Wednesday afternoon, February 16]

In the early afternoon, a doctor from ENT (eye ear nose throat) comes by to look at the gum sore. She takes a full history -- from a feeling five days before that I had burned the roof of my mouth on hot cocoa (completely plausible) through the current "hot spot" on the tongue side of the upper left set of teeth, about halfway back. She looks at it, says it's probably fine, but she will return with a more senior doctor to check it out.

Relief. It's probably fine.

A doctor from ID (infectious diseases) comes by to confirm that my pneumonia is almost certainly fungal. There is no way to be absolutely sure without surgically taking a sample of the lung tissue, and there is no way to do that safely in my condition, so we're going to go with how it looks on the CT scan. Fungal pneumonia is generally less worrisome than bacterial, and does not inherently pose an obstacle to a transplant. It does take a long time to clear up.

More relief. I don't have a pneumonia that's going to run wild.

The first ENT doctor returns with her more senior colleague. He approaches with a swab and asks me to open my mouth.

"I'm just going to take a look..."

"OW!!!"

"... and poke at it."

All that expensive and extensive schooling, yet the doctor has trouble with the basic temporal sequencing concept of Before. Before you do something to a patient, tell him what and why. If it's going to hurt, tell him how much and how long. BEFORE. Perhaps some remedial training from Bert and Ernie would be helpful.

Now he's casting about the room for "any sharp object I can use to take a piece." Happily (?), the other doctor has some sterile scissors in her pocket. He approaches with the scissors, but I'm ready this time.

"Stop. What are you going to do?"

"I'm going to take a small piece of tissue from the infected site so that we can analyze it more closely."

"How much is it going to hurt?"

"About as much as when I poked it."

I can handle that -- after all, I just did. And, perhaps because I know what's coming, it hurts less.

His preliminary conclusion: it's probably nothing, maybe some gingivitis from overly aggressive tooth brushing. But there is a dangerous fungus that spreads very rapidly that he needs to rule out. He says he is "99.9% certain" it is not that, but he will not sleep unless he has ruled it out completely through a culture.

I have a relaxed though not very good dinner. I have pneumonia, but it's not a bad one. I have a gum sore, but it's probably no big deal. I play some online Scrabble, answer some e-mail, go for a walk, have a shower, get ready for bed.

There is a knock on the door.

Read Part 3.

8 comments:

  1. Really Joe? Bert and Ernie? I am thinking when you have a whole mess of new blood and some good miles in you we should do some serious long distance mileage on Bert and Ernie Trivia...although my being of advanced age and serious memory loss i will bone up for the contests as well as try to keep my end in the running part...keep it rocking Joe...I look forward to meeting the man behind the the adroit use of Bert and Ernie in every day life.

    Michael Lebowitz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not as knowledgeable about Bert and Ernie Trivia as you think, Michael. I was sure it would be Elmo with the before/after lesson. But Google told me I was wrong. But I'm still up for the long distance mileage, especially with a Sesame Street fan. That show may be the best expenditure of public funds in history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure my brain can handle the above 2 posts. I mean, all my life it was Ernie and Bert. It's always been Ernie and Bert. Where did you guys come up with the Bert and Ernie sequence? I just don't get it.

    Hey Joe! Glad you're doing better! Keep it up! Much love!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never know when a pair of sterile scissors can come in handy. Was this the mystery oral surgery?
    JNR

    ReplyDelete
  5. Forgot - I'll get a jump on the process and wish you a happy birthday a few hours early. Probably not the most fun you've had, but could be worse. Maybe a nice fiber-filled cake with neutrophil frosting?
    JNR

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was not the surgery. This was a small biopsy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joe, you have amazing literary technique--keeping us all hanging to find out who was at the door! I hope it was nutrition delivering spicy tofu with broccoli, or some other delicious and fibrous treat.

    ReplyDelete