Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Rash

Counts
Platelets: 8 (so I got a platelet transfusion)
Hemoglobin: 7.8 (so, as expected, I also got a blood transfusion today)
Neutrophils: still too few to count
Monocytes: 4%, same as the day before



= = =


Mara began her local participation in the transplant process. She met with the doctor who will manage her donation, and she took some tests: blood tests, EKG, chest x-ray. There will be more tests tomorrow, which is also Mara's birthday. Happy Birthday, Mara! (Hint: mara-seeley@comcast.net)


To take advantage of having both sisters together,
we had an early birthday with chocolate cupcakes.
Don't be fooled by her youthful appearance and
the number of candles. Mara is older than three.


Mara spent a good part of the afternoon at the Ronald McDonald House. The house is a place for families of child patients to stay close to their children, but guests of any patient in any University of Chicago hospital are welcome to use the daytime facilities -- laundry, shower, kitchen, lounge. It's a wonderful place full of kind and helpful staff, and my dad and both sisters have all benefited from its offerings. They have all been so impressed that they want to put this Ronald McDonald House on their charity giving list.


Another benefit available to guests of patients is access to the campus athletic center for a discounted daily fee. For my sisters, this translates mainly into pool access, but they could use weights or the track or other fitness equipment if they wanted.


= = =


My medical excitement of the day is the appearance of a minor rash on my back. The daily posse wasn't sure what it was, so they requested a visit by a dermatologist, who also wasn't sure what it was, so she returned with a more experienced dermatologist. The older doctor thinks he knows what it is -- a harmless, non-communicable virus -- and they took a skin biopsy (nearly painless) for a test. I will get preliminary results tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. One definition of mixed blessing: presenting something "interesting" to the ICU docs.

    My wife, a long-time pedi ICU nurse, strongly endorses your collective support of Ronald McDonald House. There's one here at her hospital and it's a tremendous resource - it's no illusion.

    Have you tried that neutrophils cheer yet? Couldn't hurt.

    Go Mara!

    JNR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Joe.
    I hope you are feeling fantastic today!
    Tell Mara HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
    Hang in there! You're doin' great!
    Sending much love, and thoughts of eight minute miles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joe, missing your smiling face. Keep up the good (blood) work and you'll be home before you know it. I am sending love, and healing light your way as well as some treats with which to bribe staff. I'll feed Jan whenever she'll let me. I'm dedicating Saturday's run to you (it won't be easy...Ive been a very bad girl).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad Ronald McDonald is contributing to society to make up for the worldwide export of bad food spawned by his restaurant chain! The hospitality shown to your family also makes up for all the taunting I received in grade school. Yes, kids in second and third grade called me Ronald McDonald; they were too dumb to recognize the difference in spelling of my last name. :-) Please tell Mara I said hello and am thinking of her.

    ReplyDelete