Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentines Day

On the positive side, I got to spend a good portion of this Valentines Day with my sweetie. (And by that I mean Jan, in case anyone hasn't been staying current.) And I got in a walk and a shower.

On the negative side, I am a bag of woes:

1. Still no movement on the blood counts.

2. The whites of my eyes are still crimson (perhaps in honor of Valentines Day). The swelling is gone, though there is still some irritation and blurry vision. Over the next few weeks, the "whites" of my eyes will transition from red to dark red to brown to yellow to white. I need to get some sunglasses. The swelling around my eyes has gone down, but I'm now sporting a couple of black eyes. As the dermatologist (see woe number 4 below) said, "How does the other guy look?"

3. I am usually intensely congested in the nose. The post-nasal drip is more like a flow, which is disgusting enough on its own. It also interferes with my breathing, which interferes with my sleeping. Occasionally, it leads to coughing, which occasionally leads to gagging.

4. This morning we noticed a couple of new dime-sized rashes on my lower legs. Dermatologists took a look, and then took a biopsy. Didn't seem concerned, but they want to figure out what it is.

5. I've got a sore spot in my gum.

6. I have some kind of infection on the tip of my left middle finger. The doctors have been monitoring it for a couple of weeks now, but for the first time it is painful to the touch, so it is probably going to merit closer scrutiny..

7. My appetite is down. I partially blame the food, which, to put it charitably, is not nearly as good as they think it is. But there's clearly more than that at work, since I have made it only halfway through the first of several delicious chocolate bars that Mara brought me almost a week ago. Normally, I could happily eat a bar a day.

Other than that, Best Valentines Day Ever!

6 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your woes, Joe. But Happy Valentines Day to you (and to Jan)! I hope things start turning around soon. I think we'd all like to see less woes (or none) in your bag. I hope we can see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got to spend Valentine's Day with Jan and not Ivy.

    As for the rest of it, the phrase "this too will pass" comes to mind.

    Keep your sense of humor and your positive outlook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Joe, I wanted to let you know that I've been thinking about you, and praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post has all the makings of a Shel Silverstein poem, Joe...now you just need a funny little drawing to go along with it.
    Seriously though, I'm so sorry about your recent symptoms. Hope you're feeling better soon. We are all thinking about you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Joe! Happy Valentines Day to you and Jan, (and Ivy)!
    Sending you lots of love and light! Keep up the positive attitude, even when you don't feel like it. It will help you through this tough journey. (And make your Blog more salable)!

    Okedokey! Now it's time for... my son's favorite joke!

    Why did the toilet paper roll down the hill?
    It was trying to find the bottom!

    So, tune in next time for Daniel's second favorite joke!

    Take good care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Joe,
    Just wanted to say hi and let you know how much you are in our thoughts and prayers . So sorry to hear that things have been more difficult the last few days. Your writings are inspirational to all of us Joe , its helps us all keep our own bag of woes in perspective!!! Hope you feel better soon.
    Love ya bunches

    Ralph, Ginger, Angela , Alli

    ReplyDelete