Wednesday, February 2, 2011

SnOMGeddon

Hospital operations have been pared down to essential staff. The nurses, doctors, techs, and others whose shifts were ending around 8:00 last night got to work extra-long shifts and then spend the night. The outpatient clinic is closed. My lunch, which normally I could expect to receive within 45 minutes of ordering, is coming up on 90 minutes.

At the storm's daytime snowfall peak, visibility was less than half a block.



There were times last night when the building was creaking, and the lights flickered from time to time. Fortunately, we never had to switch to backup power.

Not much to report on the medical front. I'm in the chemo recovery phase. Platelets need replenishing every couple of days. Hemoglobin is holding steady, so I haven't had a red blood transfusion in a while. (And I ran 3 miles yesterday, easily.) Neutrophils are close to zero. The neutrophils are the limiting factor with respect to leaving the hospital. Without them, I am close to defenseless against bacterial infection. Sometime in the next two or three weeks, the doctors expect them to rebound sufficiently. What happens after that is still unclear, in particular how quickly we move to the transplant phase. I hope to learn more this week, when the hospital and clinic are back up and running at full strength and can answer questions.

Update: As was true for many, the storm interfered with my workout plans. Stranded nurses used the lounge with the treadmill as a dormitory, so I had to walk the corridor instead. 35 lengths per mile. 3 miles. Running on a treadmill never looked so good.

5 comments:

  1. I was wondering how the hospital was going to maintain continuity of care during Chicago's Snowpocalypse. Now I know - it's like a big slumber party, and just like a typical slumber party, people don't get much sleep (but hopefully no ghost stories). The creaking buildings and flickering lights sounds disconcerting.

    Here in Boston the governor asked non-essential state employees to stay home, the streets are quiet, the T's running with 15-20 minute delays, Fedex and UPS cancelled pickup and deliveries, and it's only raining!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a big deal. One DC hospital fired > 20 staff last year for not coming to work before/after a major snowstorm. We plan and train for earthquakes (at least in the NW), but an inch of snow here or a "simple" norovirus generates chaos.

    JNR

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Joe,
    Let's HEAR it for neutrophils!!!! Go! Go! Go! Neutrophils, we luv ya!
    Keep getting better! You're AWESOME! You go girlfriend! I mean... uh, yeah, right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Joe,
    Here in NC, temperatures peaked at 70 degrees Fahrenheit yesterday, and all the northern transplants were outside in shorts (while southern natives remained bundled). As soon as your neutrophils rebound, come catch some rebound action in Basketball City USA! I would love to attend a hoops game with you, Jan, and any kids you could bring along. Jackie Mac

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm impressed you could keep track of your mileage with so many laps! With my tendency to daydream, I often lose track of my laps in the pool. And since I don't want to 'cheat' myself on distance, I always make a worst-case assumption on my lap count, if I'm ever uncertain.

    I was also wondering - how did you know the laps/mile - did they provide you with the hospital floor plan? Or maybe you're not the first patient to do corridor laps?

    ReplyDelete