Friday, February 18, 2011

If the Cancer Doesn't Kill You...


It's taken me over a month to realize it -- I've had a few distractions -- but it is challenging to order a single day's worth of nutritious meals off of the menu, let alone enough meals to get a patient through an extended stay like my own. By nutritious, I mean meals that follow current dietary guidelines.

I can't find the menu right now, but I believe the only whole grain sources on the menu are Cheerios, Bran Flakes, oatmeal, apple bran muffin, and whole wheat bread. Some of these are only nominal whole grain sources.

The only significant non-animal protein sources are (highly sweetened) soymilk, (white) rice and beans, a soy-based fake chicken patty, and meatless chili. (For the chili and the beans, you would need to also order corn.) If you eat eggs and dairy, there are milk, cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt, and eggs.

I eat everything, so I don't have ethical or moral problems with my food choices here. However, I believe the menu fails to support current nutritional advice. Apparently, the menu is far better than it was a few years ago, which is disturbing to contemplate. My guess is that they increased the number of lean meat choices, most of which are decent or better -- grilled chicken, baked fish, roast pork, roast turkey. The meatloaf is unreliable -- the first time I tried it, moist and tasty. The last time, and it will be the last time -- grey and gristly.

Personally, I have been constipated most of my time here, despite eating fruit and/or vegetables at every meal, and despite a steady dose of stool softeners. I'm sure it's the lack of fiber, at least relative to what I typically eat. Perhaps it was coincidental, but my first normal bowel movement in a long time came the day after my mom brought me some lentil soup from outside. It is crazy to constipate patients with your menu and then prescribe stool softeners (or laxatives) to fix the problem you created.

I spoke with an unsympathetic dietitian yesterday about the situation. First, she pointed out that Nutrition and Food Service are completely separate departments and have no interaction. (Brilliant!) She argued that most patients need as much protein as possible, so that's why there are so many meat choices and so few non-meat choices. Also, they get very few complaints about the food, and they have to serve what people like. It's also true that most patients are not in the hospital as long as I have been and will be, so they aren't going to be as bothered by limited choices. And lots of people in this country are obviously happy with salty low-quality meat- and starch-heavy meals, or Bob Evans and Denny's would go out of business. But I would still expect a hospital to at least make it possible to order meals that comply with current nutritional recommendations and maybe even use hospitalization as an opportunity to help people consider some healthier food choices for the long term.

I hear I'm getting a visit from the Food Service side today. I will try to be tactful.

7 comments:

  1. Keep shaking things up! I stand with you in your struggle against bad food. Since Dacia had the baby, many folks from the United Methodist church in Mahomet have been bringing us meals... I've been impressed. I'm sure I could find some comrades upstate who would be happy to help supplement the hospital regimen of salt, lard and potato starch :)

    I think it's interesting that the hospital has placed a great wall of plausible deniability between dietitians and food service. That said, most of the food service workers are only doing what they're told, and they may even be outsourced (you never know these days). I tend to be more cynical, thinking that menu choices are made more based on costs and perceived tastes of patients rather than an actual expression of what people want to eat from the patients. If you watch that one show with Jamie Oliver about food in schools I think it's pretty clear that "we have to feed what people will eat" is a smokescreen for "we'd rather not pay for proper cooks who can make good food well enough that it is edible, so we just ship in frozen crap."

    I'm glad to see you're in such good spirits as to stir things up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Howdy Joe,
    Good job! Stir up crap! Nice job on those milage times. Keep it going!
    You'll be running 10s in no time! Hope you have a good weekend!
    Take good care. Much love,
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joe,

    It is good to see that you are making your time there count for something(s) that are very real and needs attention.

    We hope it means you are not just tilting at windmills.

    It is good to see you are back in form.

    There is no doubt you will survive this ordeal in spite of the obstacles you are forced to skirt.

    We look forward to your daily Blast....some of which brings back very similar experiences. Unfortunately it exemplifies this is not simply a local issue but more than likely crosses our nation.

    When you are back in perfect form perhaps you will continue your campaign at a different level.

    You probably heard our applause all the way from Los Angeles when you took control of a very serious situation and had the nurse relieved of her duties concerning you care. We also had a similar situation with one of our visiting nurses....also an agency nurse. He was the only one in 9 ½ month of homecare that we had to dismiss and make a call to be certain that he would never return. Les had to insist that he stop the procedure and took over himself. For us, never to be seen again!

    Our love to you, Jan and the kids……Doris & Les

    ReplyDelete
  4. From what you've written, Joe, it sounds like you might have an easier time trying to eat "paleo" than food pyramid. If you have the inclination to look into it, here are my recommendations.

    http://www.amazon.com/dp/0982720904?tag=perheadie-20&camp=213381&creative=390973&linkCode=as4&creative
    ASIN=0982720904&adid=19N2B2ERJT1XX4MQ9B6M&

    http://perfecthealthdiet.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, John (JBG). "Paleo" looks like a feasible option while working from the menu. I think the best solution for me is going to be supplement the menu. I shouldn't have to do this, but I can and will arrange for my own whole grains and legumes. I don't have direct access, but there is a refrigerator and a microwave on the floor that the floor staff can use to store and prepare reasonable amounts of personal patient food.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clearly, it's no Albie cafeteria. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The hospital should pay you a fee for your consulting on transportation logistics, nursing capabilities, and food options. Seriously, hospitals are supposed to be places to heal, but your stories make me wonder if they're all about keeping their in-patient rooms booked to the max. Hang in there, Joe!!!!

    ReplyDelete